Skip to main content

Day 292: How Great Thou Art!

The weather continues to be glorious here in Portland, Oregon. The rains will return soon. That is fine with me. I actually enjoy the rain. The sound of it on the roof, the aromatic smell in the air, the greenery of all the plants, and the clarity it brings to my brain.

But My Lord, these blue skies and sunlight do lift one up!

Yesterday, I had another lesson from above. I had planned on practicing, cleaning, exercising and food prepping all day.  But my son got home from work just when my piano practice had begun.  He asked if I had gone for my walk. I had not.  I told him I'd like to get a bit more practice done. Could we go in half an hour? He said, that would be fine. He needed to shower after a hard day's work. But he did not want to go to the "same old trail".

He said he would like to walk over the Tilicum Bridge into downtown Portland. I quickly said,  "No, I have too much to do". 

He scowled at me. My daughter, who was leaving with her husband and dog to the doggie park laughed. She said, "Mom did that to me last week. Said she was too busy!"

Oy, the crushing guilt!

I thought about my revelations through prayer and daily blogging. Yes, I need to be disciplined and put God and work in my priorities. But what were the two most important commandments that Jesus gave us?  See for yourself:

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

~Matthew 22:36-40


Adult children are included.  My son is teetering on the brink of adulthood. Really, at age 23.  He needs his family. And wholesome activities.  And I need time with my family.

So off to Tilicum we went!



I am so thankful I listened to that quiet inner voice of mine.  We had a wonderful time. Had some meaningful conversation. We crossed the bridge. It was so quiet and peaceful. Just bikes, pedestrians and the occasional MAX train.



We stopped for a bit at the Elephant's Delicatessan.  My son had a bowl of soup. Tomato orange bisque. I tried a bite. Divine! I had a lovely drink:  It was an apple cider vinegar drink with honey and cinnamon.  I did a search on the internet and I could not find this anywhere!



 So later that evening I made my own concoction at home. 1/4 cup Braggs apple cider vinegar, 3/4 cup water, 1/2 T of cinnamon and 1/2 T honey. I also added a splash of vanilla and ice.  Very refreshing! And vinegar is known for it's health properties!

After our walk, we headed to the grocery store. We both re-committed to eating home cooked meals and packing lunches instead of grabbing take-out. My son has been spiraling down into the world of fast food drive-through.  I have been frequenting my favorite restaurant haunts way too often.  Need to save for our travels!


Last night we had my lentil soup from the crockpot. Then I baked marinated chicken breasts that I cut into chunks.  I also roasted cauliflower, green beans, zuccini and red onions. The marinade was simply olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.  We each had a plate. Divine!

I packed the rest of it into little tupperware containers for the week.

Then my son and I packed his lunch. Tortilla spread with cream cheese, sliced turkey and lettuce. Rolled up tightly.  Trail mix.  He will add fruit in the morning. His breakfasts will be granola, almond milk and coffee.

This morning I had leftover lentil soup with raw peanuts on top.  And tea.  This morning, before my daughter and son-in-law left for the shooting range with Honey Dog, she handed me a cup. It was a vinegar drink with lemon juice, honey and cayenne. Supports weight loss, we have read.  It was invigorating!

And the icing on my cake? I got an email last night from a priest at a local Catholic church. They have an opening for a part-time pianist. He was wondering if I was interested. If only he could have heard me squeal and see me leap for joy! Yes!


I am ready for my day.  Feeling happier than usual. God is good! And I am so thankful for my family, friends, musical acquaintances and students today. 

I realize I haven't chosen a hymn of the day. The one that popped into my head just now, is "How Great Thou Art". Can't top that one!   This hymn has an interesting history (http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/h/o/w/how_great_Thou_art.htm)


How Great Thou Art
Words by Stuart K. Hine 
(1899-1989)
Based on the words of a poem by  Carl G. Boberg (1859-1940)
Based on a Swedish folk melody, adapted by Stuart K. Hine 

O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the *worlds thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the *rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed:

Refrain
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!
When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees,
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:

Refrain
And when I think that God, his Son not sparing,
Sent him to die, I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.

Refrain
When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then *I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, My God, how great thou art!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i