Skip to main content

Day 277: Ashes to Ashes. Giving Up All My Anxiety and Sleeping Late for Lent!


http://thekeeperofancientwords.blogspot.com/2012/02/ashes-to-ashes-dust-to-dust.html


Today is Ash Wednesday. The first day of Lent.  I have been increasingly drawn to observe Lent.  Perhaps it is in re-examining my Catholic roots.  But I find profound meaning in giving up worldly distractions and examining my conscience during this time in order to draw closer to God and humility in accepting that His Son died for our sins.  Really pondering the fact that the Son of God suffered bitterly and died for our sake is humbling at the least.

It's the least I could do to pause and examine my life. And give up something for He who gave all.

I remember the priest dipping his thumb in a pot of ashes and drawing the cross on my forehead as a child. I was a little fearful and not sure of the meaning.

But, now as an adult, it is becoming clear.  Suffering and sacrifice are no longer words that I fear. Especially after having raised two children on my own and the struggles that I faced just being me. 

In years past I have given up potato chips, meat, Facebook (for 3 years in a row).  I was agonizing this morning.  I have decided to go to the 1:00 p.m. Ash Wednesday service and dedicate giving up sleeping late in the morning.

Yes you heard me right!

I want to give the first hour of the morning, every morning to God. This means I will have to not only wake up at 6:00 a.m., but pop out of bed. This essentially tackles my internet/Facebook addiction. Because usually my eyes open about 6:00 a.m. and I scour the internet for breaking news and then head over to Facebook to see what is happening with my friends and family.

I feel good about this decision!

I must say that I don't consider myself 100% Catholic. I enjoy Mass. I love the reverence and the commitment to helping the poor.  I love the prayers.  I love the Jesuit priests. But I also am fed by the sermon at the bible church I attend. It fills in the puzzle pieces in my brain.  And I have always been uncomfortable with sacrament of confession in the Catholic church.  I feel awkward confessing my sins through a priest. I always edit.  I like talking to God.

I have enjoyed many different denominations. But the bottom line is, I believe in God. I follow the teachings of Jesus, as much as my warped humanity allows. I love reading the bible. I love reading devotions, and all sacred writings. I love reading about the saints of the church.

But I do consider myself 100% Christian. At least I strive for that.  Being human, I fall short. Daily.

But I do enjoy talking to people of all faiths.  Some of my best friends have been Jehovah's Witnesses, Hindu, Buddhist, agnostic (lots of those!) and even atheist.


I aim to love all people. Not always easy. But I find up until recently, that the hardest person to love has been myself.

But I am at least liking myself lately.  And because I like myself, I am taking better care of myself.

On that note, here is my morning stretching music.  Sublime!

Sibelius ~ The Swan of Tuonela by Jean Sibelius 

My hymn of the day was supposed to be "All Who Believe and Are Baptized". But I glanced at the next page, and the title "All Your Anxiety" popped out at me.  Here I am agonizing as usual. This must be meant for me today! I have never been a believer in coincidences.

 It's a lovely hymn. I may make this one my theme song!

Is there a heart o’erbound by sorrow? 

Is there a life weighed down by care?

Come to the cross, each burden bearing;
All your anxiety—leave it there.
Refrain:
All your anxiety, all your care,
Bring to the mercy seat, leave it there,
Never a burden He cannot bear,
Never a friend like Jesus!
 No other friend so swift to help you,
No other friend so quick to hear,
No other place to leave your burden,
No other one to hear your prayer.
Come then at once; delay no longer!
Heed His entreaty kind and sweet,
You need not fear a disappointment;
You shall find peace at the mercy sea

 In fact, I need to insert a lightening bolt here....!!
 

I am also giving up ANXIETY for Lent!

"All Your Anxiety". Words by Edward Henry Joy, 1920. Music by Edward Henry Joy, 1920. Interesting.  Words and music by the same person! Off I go to read about Edward Henry Joy. BRB   

Ok. I'm back. 

I read a bit about Mr. Joy online. He was editor-in-chief of "The War Cry" in South Africa. And a colonel in the Salvation Army.  That's all I found on the hymnary.org site. I think I shall have to do further study!  

 For now, here is his picture and a little bio:

 

Edward Henry Joy

Born: November 16, 1871, Canterbury, Kent, England.
Died: February 16, 1949, Cheam, Surrey, England.
Joy joined the Salvation Army (SA) in Canterbury, then played in the band at Folkestone, and became an SA officer in 1894. He went on serve the SA Corps at Tunstall, then the SA International headquarters in 1917, where he was Under Secretary in the Foreign Office. After 1919, he served as Immigration Secretary in western Canada, and in 1932 became editor-in-chief of The War Cry in South Africa. He rose to the rank of SA colonel, and retired in 1938.


On that note, I need to get in some piano practice, a trail walk, lunch with my kids, Ash Wednesday Mass, more piano practice and prayer!

No time for anxiety!


Happy Wednesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i