Skip to main content

Day 296: Infidels of the late 1700's

I found an old book that I love. It is called A Morning Cup of Yoga by Jane Goad Trechsel. It has simple illustrations and instructions on a pleasant morning ritual of stretching.

http://www.amazon.com/Morning-Cup-Yoga-15-minute-Lifetime/dp/1575871726

I went through the whole sequence while listening to Placido Domingo sing "Il mio tesoro" (Mozart "Don Giovanni"). I am feeling so much more limber and flexbile!


Still sore and aching joints though. :(  

I believe that after this upcoming concert, when I start back to morning walking, I shall feel better. For now, I am stretching and walking to and from houses of students.  Unfortunately, I am carrying a heavy backpack, which probably accounts for some of my pain.

My hymn of the day is "I Love thy Kindom Lord". Words by Timothy Dwight. Music by Aaron Williams. 

1 I love thy kingdom, Lord,
the house of thine abode,
the church our blest Redeemer saved
with his own precious blood.
2 I love thy church, O God.
Her walls before thee stand,
dear as the apple of thine eye,
and graven on thy hand.
3 For her my tears shall fall;
for her my prayers ascend;
to her my cares and toils be given,
till toils and cares shall end.
4 Beyond my highest joy
I prize her heavenly ways:
her sweet communion, solemn vows,
her hymns of love and praise.
5 Sure as thy truth shall last,
to Zion shall be given
the brightest glories earth can yield,
and brighter bliss of heaven.
I read an intriguing story about Timothy Dwight in my book Then Sings My Soul by Robert Morgan.  
You think times are hard now? Think again! Think back to the late 1700's! 
During the late 1700's, "the "Rationalist" movement, sweeping over classroom and dormitorz, had turned most professors and students into infidels".
(Then Sings My Soul, Book 2, Robert Morgan)

"During the last decade of the eighteenth century," wrote J. Edwin Orr, "the typical Harvard student was atheist...Christians were so unpopular they met in secret and kept their minutes in code." (Then Sings My Soul, Book 2, Robert Morgan)

Luckily for Yale, Timothy Dwight came along.  
"Timothy entered Yale at age 13, and was so devoted to his studies that he neglected exercise and sleep. He even limited himself to twelve mouthfuls of vegetables at meals, so as not to overeat and dull his mind. He went on to become a pastor and community leader. In 1795, he was elected president of Yale...After seven years of preaching, teaching and praying, Dwight saw a revival break out at Yale in which one third of the student body was converted. This spiritual resurgence touched other colleges, too: Harvard, Brown, Dartmouth and many others. This "Second Great Awakening", provided the spiritual leadership America needed for the next generation...The spirit of revival permeates Dwight's "I Love Thy Kingdom, Lord," which is based on a portion of Psalm 137. It is the oldest American hymn in continual use.
(Then Sings My Soul, Book 2, Robert Morgan)


I definitely need to continue to take care of my health. I am going to have live a good many more years to study all there is to know. And it is just the tip of the iceberg!
Happy Monday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist