Skip to main content

Day 276: The Know-It-All

Yesterday was such a beautiful, sunny day.  My son and I had pho for lunch. Then he drove me to my first student's house. As I was getting out of the car he said, "I think I'd better pick you up from your last student's house tonight."  I told him that was not necessary. I knew he had to get up early for work.

He looked pointedly at my feet. I looked down. I was wearing flip-flops.

"You're feet are going to freeze", he laughed.

He was right. What was I thinking? Yes, the sky was blue. It was over 60 degrees. But it was February. And I wasn't done with my last student until 8:00 p.m.

"Thank you", I said humbly.  And I realized that life was coming full circle. My adult son was beginning to parent me!

But it all turned out well. He picked me and my frozen feet up. Then we went to pick my daughter up from work.  Her husband was in a bible study and had their vehicle. It was like old times going to pick her up.  My son likes rap music. He is educating me. We are having rap school. He plays a song and asks me to guess the rapper.  I am improving. When we first started playing this game, I would say "Tupac, M&M, Fifty Cent or Ice Cube".  I now can recogize E40, Wiz Kalifa, and Bone Thugs. But I am going to start looking up their pictures. I can recognize their voices and style better if I can place a face with them.  Not sure why this is.

But my night got even better. I was afraid to breathe after he revealed his new plan.  He wants to read every night.  With me!

I have died and gone to heaven!

A little history. I love to read. I have ALWAYS loved to read. As a child, I couldn't wait for school to get out for the summer. I would take my wagon up to the Clark County Public libray in Vancouver. I would fill it with books and then haul it home, shaking with anticipation. I would pack a snack and some lemonade and go up on the hill behind our house and sit happily under the shade of a tree. And read for hours. Being transported in my mind to another place.

My dream was to read to my own children and instill the joy of reading in them.

This did not happen.  I read to them, yes. Every night.  But although they both graduated from high school and my daughter went on to get a four year degree, neither of them picked up the reading for pleasure gene right away. My daughter reads now. Her husband and her have been reading a lot more lately. Especially the bible.

My son hated reading and didn't last more than a term of community college after high school.  He told me he felt like he couldn't breathe when he opened a book. I hope I didn't do that to him.

So his words were music to my ears last night. I was afraid to exhale!

I told him he could pick a book from my library. He chose

The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to become the Smartest Person in the World by AJ Jacobs.  (http://ajjacobs.com/books/the-know-it-all/)

The perfect book to start with.  I really enjoyed the author's tongue-in-cheek, humble style.  With some food for thought and silly humor thrown in for good measure.

These little miracles make my spirit soar and my heart sing!

Speaking of singing, my hymn of the day is "All Things Bright and Beautiful". Words by Cecil Frances Alexander, 1848.  Music: "ROYAL OAK", a 17th century English melody.
Refrain
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens,
Each little bird that sings,
He made their glowing colors,
He made their tiny wings.
Refrain
[Most hymnals omit the following verse]
The rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
He made them, high or lowly,
And ordered their estate.
Refrain
The purple headed mountains,
The river running by,
The sunset and the morning
That brightens up the sky.
Refrain
The cold wind in the winter,
The pleasant summer sun,
The ripe fruits in the garden,
He made them every one.
Refrain
The tall trees in the greenwood,
The meadows where we play,
The rushes by the water,
To gather every day.
Refrain
He gave us eyes to see them,
And lips that we might tell
How great is God Almighty,
Who has made all things well.



I had a nice bowl of porridge for breakfast this morning. Again, I am seeking balance with my eating.  So this will be cleansing week.  I put millet, oats, flax meal, coconut, dried cranberries and almond milk in my porridge. Very comforting. I ate at the kitchen table, sipping a mug of Lady Grey tea while watching the little birds eating the bird seed breakfast.

Another glorious day in Portland, Oregon.  But today I will wear walking shoes and socks. Not quite flip-flop weather as I learned embarrassingly yesterday!

I am doing my stretches to Die Fledermaus by Johann Strauss II.  Perfect for this day! :)

On that note, I wish you a happy Tuesday.

Peace be with you all!

 Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i