Skip to main content

Day 290: Stand by Me


That is sunshine on my shoulder!

 
Another good day.  The rain has taken a vacation and the sun is brilliant in a pale blue sky. I still ache in the morning, but my attitude is bright and my mind is clear. 

Good day for a walk!

I have been thinking about ritual lately. I have been focused on improving my life through discipline these past 290 days. But yesterday I realized that I need to find a balance. I was doing my morning bible study. Was almost done. My next item on my agenda was to make breakfast.

My daughter was doing her nails and getting ready for work. The minute I stood to prepare a healthy breakfast, she asked if I would  make her a pot of brown rice. She is on a strict diet for the next month.  She works out daily with her sister and eats only whole foods, few grains aside from a cup of brown rice, unlimited veggies and only fruit in her morning smoothie.  Instead of kindly putting her rice on (with her specific instructions), I told her in a rather snappy tone that I was about to make breakfast, practice piano, exercise and go teach.

We had a bit of a tense moment before I relented.

But I felt bad.  What good does it do for me to make all these self improvements, if I am unkind? Or in the powerful words of the bible in Mark 8:36:

"What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul."

Later, when I was practicing my piano, I was worried about the hour getting late. My son knocked on my door and asked me if I had gone on my trail walk. I had not. So my son and Honey Dog went for a lovely walk.  He told me about his adventures in Reno.  

He also volunteered to drive me to my first piano student of the day since I was worried about being late.  We even had time for lunch!

This morning my daughter was up earlier than me. She was again preparing for work. Instead of putting my agenda before time with my daughter, I sat down and watched an episode of "The Bachelor" with her.  I have never been a fan of reality tv. And I oppose this program on a moral level, but I must admit we have bonded over The Bachelor.  It is an interesting study in human behavior and we have had some interesting (and quite silly) conversations as a result.

 She went off to work and I continued with my day.

 I made a vow to read the entire bible cover to cover beginning last summer. I have now finished Romans.  I am in love with Paul, formally Saul of Tarsus.  I even rented the DVD "Paul".  I find his story and the history of his ministry and the culture of the times (which coincidentally we are studying at Portland Bible Church) make his life very tangible to me. And his teachings of Jesus versus the ancient Jewish law are becoming clear and applicable in my life.

I will probably talk more about Paul in future blogs.  But I must continue with my day. That sun is calling to me!   

On another note, I had a fabulous yoga session this morning. I am improving!  I turned off the volume on the dvd and listened to Dvorak. "Rusalka (includes Song to the Moon) Antonin Dvořák". The music fit perfectly with the routine. I am learning sun salutation.  Rusalka comes in at number 235 on Classic FM Hall of Fame for 2015.  

 

My hymn of the day is "Stand by Me". Words and music by Charles A Tindley. I would like to share some background information on Charles Tindley. I was very inspired by his story. But that will have to wait until another day. 

For now, I leave you with these deeply moving lyrics and wish you a happy Tuesday!

1 When the storms of life are raging,
Stand by me (stand by me);
When the storms of life are raging,
Stand by me (stand by me);
When the world is tossing me
Like a ship upon the sea,
Thou Who rulest wind and water,
Stand by me (stand by me).
2 In the midst of tribulation,
Stand by me (stand by me);
In the midst of tribulation,
Stand by me (stand by me);
When the hosts of hell assail,
And my strength begins to fail,
Thou Who never lost a battle,
Stand by me (stand by me).
3 In the midst of faults and failures,
Stand by me (stand by me);
In the midst of faults and failures,
Stand by me (stand by me);
When I do the best I can,
And my friends misunderstand,
Thou Who knowest all about me,
Stand by me (stand by me).
4 In the midst of persecution,
Stand by me (stand by me);
In the midst of persecution,
Stand by me (stand by me);
When my foes in battle array
Undertake to stop my way,
Thou Who savèd Paul and Silas,
Stand by me (stand by me).
5 When I’m growing old and feeble,
Stand by me (stand by me);
When I’m growing old and feeble,
Stand by me (stand by me);
When my life becomes a burden,
And I’m nearing chilly Jordan,
O Thou “Lily of the Valley,”
Stand by me (stand by me).



 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist