Skip to main content

Day 291: Mt. Pisgah

Today is one of my "rest" days.  I have a crockpot full of aromatic dal cooking. The house smells divine! The sun is shining brightly. My daughter, her husband and Honey Dog are on their way out the door for a hike. I have chose to stay home and practice piano, do some yoga and clean.  I will be going to the gym this afternoon for a good workout. Then I plan on grocery shopping. I am going to get back on the food prep train. I keep to my healthy eating plan and save money if I make meals in advance.

This week I will make baked chicken and roasted vegetables.

With this beautiful spring weather, I am once again inspired towards my goal of buying a van and taking off to see more of this beautiful country. My son also has my travel bug and will be a nice companion for some trips.

But I cannot save for the future if I continue to spend so much money on eating outs. As much as I enjoy my regular dive hangouts, they will not take me cross country! Although I must admit, hitting the road, seeing the country, feeling the freedom is not complete without trying some little local dining joints!

I cannot wait for this dream to become a reality.  I plan on continuing this blog on my travels!

But today, I will focus on the coming week.

I was flipping through my book of 1000 hymns.  I stopped on "O Day of Rest and Gladness". It seemed appropriate for today.

O Day of Rest and Gladness
Words by Christopher Wordsworth (1807-1885) Note: He was the nephew of the poet William Wordsworth!
Music from "Gesangbuch der Herzogl. Hofkapelles, Wittenberg, 1784

1 O day of rest and gladness,
O day of joy and light,
O balm for care and sadness,
most beautiful, most bright;
on you the high and lowly,
through ages joined in tune,
sing "Holy, holy, holy,"
to the great God triune.
2 On you, at earth’s creation,
the light first had its birth;
on you, for our salvation
Christ rose from depths of earth;
on you, our Lord victorious
sent Spirit forth from heav'n;
and thus on you, most glorious,
a three-fold light was giv'n.
3 Today on weary nations
the heav'nly manna falls;
to holy convocations
the silver trumpet calls,
where gospel light is glowing
with pure and radiant beams
and living water flowing
with soul-refreshing streams.
4 New graces ever gaining
from this our day of rest,
we reach the rest remaining
to spirits of the blest.
We sing to you our praises,
O Father, spirit, Son;
the church its voice upraises
to you, blest Three in One.



I am familiar with the tune. After singing and playing through this hymn, I realized that the day of rest is referring to Sunday, the sabbath.  I also saw a word that I have been curious about for awhile. It has come up in several hymns in my church pianist days. The word is "Pisgah".  I googled it and discovered a wonderful blog about hiking in Oregon called  "Forest Hiker".

On this site I found some interesting information:

Pisgah Home Road – what’s behind this curious name?

"What an odd name “Pisgah Home Road” is! The name refers to the Mountain from which Moses first saw the promised land. But the local story about this mountain road above Scappoose is even more interesting…
Apparently, it refers to a faith healing movement started around 1900 by Finis Yoakum at his house in Los Angeles. The home originally had room for only eight persons and was founded “to give free care to drunkards and outcasts” who wished to reform. Apparently, the effort grew into a major social initiative that inspired good Samaritans as far away as Portland, where “Mother Lawrence” took up the challenge. Hattie Lawrence was born in Wisconsin in 1859 and came to Portland at the age of 26. She seems to have copied the Pisgah Home concept when she established a Portland-based “Pisgah Home” to take care of the “down and out old men”, and it was said that the Portland police regularly brought her men that had been arrested for drunkenness. Needing a place in the country where her aged wards could do physical labor and restore their health, she acquired a piece of land above Scappoose in 1919. Apparently, she and her “down and out” men built an impressive three story shake-sided building on the logged-off land. It was surrounded by gardens and tended by old men hoeing and busying themselves with horticulture. The refuge even had its own cemetery to accept the last remains of those whose relatives had forsaken them." (http://www.foresthiker.com/?p=2415)
Wow! I learn something new every day. If I didn’t have so much piano practice, cleaning, cooking and working out to do, I would be tempted to spend the day reading about Mother Lawrence and Finis Yoakum!

I still am thinking about Charles Tindley from my hymn of the day, Stand by Me from yesterday. He was the son of slaves. He had a difficult childhood. He taught himself to read and became a minister and a composer of some of the most memorable hymns that have impacted people, inside and outside of churches. "Many believe that the words and intent of “I Shall Overcome” was the basis of the anthem for the Civil Rights movement, “We Shall Overcome”. You can read more about Charles Tindely here: http://greatlivesinhistory.blogspot.com/2009/07/july-7-nothing-between-my-soul-and-my.html

Charles Albert Tindley
All these fascinating, strong, motivated people who lived before us. I often think such people compared to my life. Will people remember me when I am gone? Will I have made a difference? Why does this matter so much to me?

I am guessing these questions come up more as we age. I am approaching 55. The age of the senior discount. LOL But perhaps the age of reflection.  I still feel I have so much to learn, experience and accomplish in this life. But I am starting to glimpse mortality. My growing faith tells me there is something bigger and glorious to look forward to after this life.  But I still want to make the best of my earthly existence. And I desire to impact others in a positive way.

But now I must do some yoga.  I woke up less stiff and sore. But not pain free.  The yoga helps my flexibility and clears my head. Much needed! My yoga music today is: "Erik Satie: Gnossienne No. 1, 2, 3."
Happy Wednesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i