Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 20: Grandma Fever!

I like to plan.  Even more so now. Especially when I see results from my effort.

I can be a bit OCD about it though.

Take my new evolving role as first time grandma. My daughter is due in early September.  I know she will need help. And I want to be involved.  But I have been having a bit of stress about how to change my schedule so that I can keep making a living, be there for my daughter and granddaughter and continue on my quest for improved mental, physical and spiritual health.

I was worried that I couldn't accomplish it all. Or that I would be too tired.  Or too something...

But then I snapped myself out of it!  This is a very important major life change in our family. And a very positive one at that.

We will be welcoming a new little life into our family!

I know that people often resist change. I used to pride myself on saying that I thrive on change!

But now that I am very connected to my family and my work, and becoming a more balanced human being, I am actually beginning to thrive on routine.

However, within the routine, I do value my freedom.

I seem to be rambling a bit tonight.  Most tired am I!  I am preparing my students for their end of the year piano recital.  They are all quite prepared! I was finalizing the details on the program today. And chuckling over the "personal quotes".  I included a quote page on the back of the program. Every single one of the 50 students of mine that are performing, told me what they wanted to say to the audience about themselves. The quotes are refreshingly random:

"I am obsessed with horses, and emojis!" Writes one of my beginning students.

Several of them say they "love piano".  And soccer. Soccer is big with my piano students. 

But one of my favorite quotes is from a middle school boy:
"I often learn more walking home from school then I learning being in school!"

I love that.  And of course my mom's quote:

"Just the facts, Ma'am!"  My mother is playing "When the Red, Red Robins Goes Bob, Bob Bobbin' Along"  And she plays it with gusto!

I am also practicing for a choir concert.  This is a very busy time of year.

But all day long, I was obsessing over my fall schedule.  I do that. Obsess. Especially about schedules.  I fret until I can sit down and write it all out. If it looks doable, I relax.  Then I try to make breathing room in my schedule.  I tend to overbook at first.

Halfway through my day of fretting, it dawned on me. I was worried about missing my exercise!

You see, I have ridden public transportation for about 10 years. Part of being a commuter, is walking and sometimes running to catch your bus or train. Plus, I have committed myself to daily exercise.  And I have been blogging about it for over two years!

But in order to help my daughter and care for my new grandbaby, I will need to purchase a car. I will be driving to Vancouver, WA several days a week once my precious granddaughter arrives.  Unfortunately, Max does not yet travel across the Columbia River. 

My aha moment occured as I was waiting for a bus between students today. I have been looking at this all wrong. Like Eeyore!  Poor me, I've been thinking.  Even though I am so excited about the baby. Poor me, my routine will be changing!

I scolded myself for being so selfish. And then "poof" I had a thought!  I belong to 24-hour fitness. I can get up early, drive to the gym. Get a workout and a quick shower before driving across the river!  And having a car is going to buy me several hours of time a day.  No more waiting for buses. 

I instantly perked up.  And wrote out my new fall schedule. I called my daughter and she approves!


And then, my day got even brighter. My last student of the evening played his piece so beautifully for me. I felt a bit emotional. And then his mom gave me a bag of baby girl clothes she picked up for me. My favorite was a tie-dyed onesie.  I still have quite a bit of hippie in me.  I just keep looking at this outfit and imagine a darling little precious baby girl wearing it. :)

I've got grandma fever!


And now, I must head to bed. 10:00 p.m. already.  I am gradually trying to get to bed earlier. Now I have a purpose for all my training to be a morning person! 

I so love having a purpose.

And on that note, I wish you a happy Thursday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

My fruit of the spirit this week is "Faith".  I am feeling quite optimistic about the future.

Love,

Zita :) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i