Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 36: Hula Hoop Project, Day 2

I had a day of pampering and relaxation yesterday.

I started out with a late morning stroll to breakfast at the Wichita Pub.  I stopped in at the beauty salon a few doors down and asked if they had time for a haircut. I told them I was off to breakfast first and could be back in an hour.

"Yes!" said a very friendly lady about my age. She asked me my name.

"Zita", I smiled.

The whole salon stared at me. I figured they had never heard such a unique name. I waved goodbye and headed over for a lovely breakfast of eggs, Oktoberfest sausage, hash browns and black coffee.

True confession time. I had toast!  I know, I am supposed to be gluten free. But I read that sourdough bread is probiotic because it is made with fermented dough. I REALLY wanted toast.  I rationalized that it would be an experiment.

Oh man. That toast! Dripping with butter, dipped in egg yolk. I was in heaven! I just hoped I didn't pay for it later.

I sat and enjoyed my coffee, listening to happy voices all around me. And the clicking of pool sticks on pool ball. 

It is a bar afterall!

I read from Beth Moore's book So Long, Insecurity: You've Been A Bad Friend to Us. This is my second time reading it. My daughter is absolutely correct. I need to read it. Every day!

Here is a definition of insecurity, in Ms. Moore's book. One of my passages I highlighted: (I might as well highlight the whole book!)

"Insecurity refers to a profound sense of self-doubt--a deep feeling of uncertainty about our basic worth and our place in the world. Insecurity is associated with chronic self-consciousness, along with a chronic lack of confidence in ourselves and anxiety about our relationships. The insecure man or woman lives in constant fear of rejection and deep uncertainty about whether his or her own feelings and desires are legitimate."

I so need this book!

I finished up my breakfast and headed over to the beauty salon. I was lucky to get the owner of the shop as my stylist.

One of the other stylists asked me how I spelled my name.

"Z-I-T-A", I said with a smile.

They all started to laugh. I looked up at my stylist.

"My name is Sehta", she said.  "We were all so confused when you said your name earlier. We thought you were talking to me. But we didn't recognize you as a regular customer!"

Well, this coincidence got our session off to a great start. She did a wonderful job with my hair. I also got my eyebrows and a few hairs on my chinny chin chin waxed.

I especially like what she did with the back!  Most pampered was I!



But wait! There's more! After my haircut, I went to get a pedicure! I love my orange toes! I was planning on going to the gym afterwards, but so relaxed was I!



So I stopped at Starbucks and had my iced unsweetened passionfruit/white tea. Read some more of my book. And just sat there.

Being. Enjoying the feeling of being human!

Then I went to teach my one student of the evening. And home to bed early (After two episodes of "Homeland". I seriously don't know what I'm going to do after I am done with the last season!)

I feel good this morning!  I woke up at 6:30 a.m. I was worried about the toast, but I feel ok!  Not sure I want to go back to eating bread on a daily basis, but perhaps a slice of sourdough toast now and then? As long as I am still losing weight... We shall see. I am a living experiment!

I almost went to the track, but it looks cold out there!  But I did get a nice hoop session in. 350 rotations today! After I finish blogging this morning, I'll do a brisk 3/4 mile walk to the bus to meet my mom for breakfast. I have high hopes for the daily hoop project! My abs are feeling much tighter!





 
Summer term begins today. I have a full load of piano students to teach. But on my break I am going to practice piano! Must stick to my word!

On that note, I need to run.

Even though, as usual, I have so much more to say!

Tune in tomorrow, for more of my fascinating life!  

 I wish you a day full of peace, joy, love and wonder!

Talk to you later my friends!

Happy Saturday!

Love,

Zita

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist