Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 41 (HPP Day 7):There was Kimchi!

I had a very nice day yesterday.

I had only one student. Three students cancelled because of a conflict with a dance rehearsal. One student was out of town.

Ah...freedom!

I love my students. But an unexpected evening off is such a luxury!

I had a nice dinner at Laughing Planet. Be-bim-bap! Not exactly authentic, especially since they put a hard boiled egg instead of a fried egg on top. But what the heck. There was kimchi!  And I had a nice leisurely dinner of eating and reading at the same time. My favorite activity!

I read some more of my Beth Moore book (So Long Insecurity: You Have Been a Bad Friend to Us!). I know this sounds crazy, but I feel like she is speaking directly to the inside of my brain!

After dinner I discovered that my last student was out of town. Good thing I checked my email!

I was unfortunately having a craving. For ice cream. And I was really close to Cloud City Ice Cream parlor on SE Woodstock. I almost walked up there. The dark chocolate stout is serious heaven!

But I perservered.  I was planning on just stopping at Fred Meyer's for a bottled water and cut watermelon.  But then I walked past the ice cream. I love Rice Dream sandwiches. They are non dairy. However, they have a cookie in them. So, gluten!

I actually grabbed one and was going to the check out counter when I saw a very happy boy and his mom. He was holding a bowl of frozen yogurt topped with M&M's.

Fred Meyer's has a frozen yogurt island! With toppings!  YAY!

I was a good girl. I put back the Rice Dream! And instead had a small bowl of frozen yogurt topped with almonds and a drizzle of caramel.  I also bought a bottle of Aloe water.

Most proud of self!!

Then I headed over to the library.  I was planning on checking email and the news. And looking at weighted hula hoop workouts on Youtube... But I decided to check the DVD situation. I had put Homeland, Season 5 on hold, but it had not come in yet. And lo and behold, there it was! Sitting innocently on the shelf!

Most excited was I!

I learned a lot from my hula hoop video research. My next challenge is learning to hoop in the OPPOSITE direction.  And to turn in the direction that my hoop is spinning. These young ladies make it look so easy and graceful. But I have heard my students remark that I make playing the piano look easy. I am willing to be a student and fumble a bit!  Because every day I am seeing improvement!

I also had stopped earlier at Bi-Mart.  I need to pick up a hook for my knitting loom. I had misplaced mine. I am making a little hat for my granddaughter. While I was at Bi-Mart, I thought I'd look for some kind of contraption to hold my cell phone in place while I make my hula hooping videos. I found something! A cell phone mount that is meant for cars, but will definitely do the trick for my videos!

Score!

Alas, this morning I feel tired and poofy. Blame it on the frozen yogurt! It helps to have a culprit!

Wait...oy! I was not going to play the blame game anymore!  I take responsibility for the frozen yogurt. Every sweet bite!  


Anyway... I did have a little more luck with recording my hula hoop session this morning.  As you can see, I am learning a few more tricks! I even added bubbles!



After my demo, I proceeded to do 800 CONSECUTIVE hoop rotations, including turning, feet together, wide stance, forward stance and a few squats!

Progress is sweet!

Speaking of progress, I am making very slow progress in clearing out my old negative thought patterns.

I read this passage in Beth Moore's book last night, and was still pondering it this morning:

"Most of us have what I'll call a prominent false positive: one thing that we think would make us more secure in all things. You want to know how you can pinpoint your own prominent false positive? The thing you tend to associate most with security? think of a person you believe to be secure and determine what earthly thing he or she has that you don't feel like you possess, at least in matching measure. That's liable to be your prominent false positive: the one thing that would make you more secure in all things." ~Beth Moore So Long, Insercurity: You've Been a Bad Friend to Us.

I did some serious soul searching.

And what I discovered surprised me. I thought I would say without a doubt that being slender and fit were my false positive. But no, I know many slender and fit, insecure women. My false positive is a significant other, preferably a husband!
That kind of shocked me. I thought I was happy alone. But it seems when I really think about people I admire that seem secure and happy, they are happily married.

I know, I know. It could be an illusion.

And you know, I think deep down that no one would really love me if I was fat and out of shape...so the two are intwined.

This is good to know.

Not sure, at this point, what can be done about it.

But knowledge is a good thing. Especially self knowledge!

On that note, I must run off to teach piano.

Happy Thursday!

Love your family, your mate, your friends and especially yourself!
Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita :) 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist