Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 45: Black Coffee and Cloudy Skies = Bliss!

I just got back from my  morning walk/jog for coffee.  The weather is practically perfect today. At least for me.

Yesterday topped out at 101 degrees F. This morning it is 62 degrees and overcast. A lovely breeze is blowing about.

As I walked, I thought about last night.

After the library I had planned on going to the gym. But I was so tired. The air felt heavy, and hot. It was as if I was being baked in an oven. My backpack was digging into my shoulders.  I made a snap decision to go for frozen yogurt. I rationalized that it was my day off. I needed rest. And I could do some weights at home. In an air conditioned room!

So I walked up the street to "Green Apple Frozen Yogurt" at Eastport Plaza.

My plan was just a small serving. And keep the toppings simple and gluten free.

I was pleased to find they posted the calorie and sugar content for each flavor. I was even happier to discover there was a "Plain, tart" yogurt. It still had sugar, but much less than the other flavors. I topped it with nuts, coconut, fresh fruit and a splash of caramel.

I really enjoyed that yogurt!

I left shortly afterwards and hopped on the bus towards home.  I checked the bus schedule, and I had a half hour before the next bus. And conveniently, there is a Starbucks nearby. In fact, the same Starbucks I stopped at first thing in the morning.

So I started and ended my day with passion.  Err... an unsweetened Passionfruit iced tea.

The barista greeted me with a warm, "Hello, Zita!" when I came in.

I looked around to find a seat near a charging port. And deja vous! My same seat was available. And even weirder, the same young man was sitting at the table right next to it.

I am worried about this young man. He appeared to have been there all day. He had a backpack full of Doritos and Gatorade. He had a Starbucks ice water, and his Ipad. He had headphones in his ears, flaying his arms around and laughing.

At one point, he got up to throw away his Doritos package. He stumbled and fell to the ground, all the while laughing and talking to himself.

Earlier, before church when I stopped by for my morning iced tea, I asked the barista for the restroom code.  She motioned me closer and whispered it in my ear, explaining they did not want the young man behind me to know it.

I sat by him, but avoided staring.  He wasn't bothering me, but I was a little worried. About the baristas. Would he leave willingly when they were closing?  Was he on drugs?  Mentally ill? Did he have a home.

He appeared to be in his late teens, maybe early twenties.

I said a brief silent prayer for him and left to catch my bus.

At home, I did a quick arm workout and then collapsed on my bed. It was only 7:30, but I was so tired. I put in a "Homeland" DVD and relaxed. I was planning on getting up and doing laundry, knitting and practicing piano. But I slept like a baby all through the night!

I am still tired today. But the cooler weather is divine.

I did a quick hoop workout and then my walk to the gas station for my morning bitter brew.

I am happy to say, I LIKE black coffee now!

I weighed in. Still the same. This week I am going to focus on fresh veggies and fruit. More water.  I looked at the running track longingly when I returned for my walk. Unfortunately, I did not get up earlier for a proper run.

But I am happy that the desire is there!  So my plan for the week is to wake up early enough for a run before I hoop.  And continue to watch my eating.

Here is my latest hoop demo. Day 11! I must apologize for the blurry quality of this video. I think I should have put it on a different setting. I chose "Dreamy", and with the clouds it just looks "blurry"!  Oh well, live and learn...

Happy Monday!

Enjoy the cool breeze!

Talk to you tomorrow!




Popular posts from this blog

Year Two, Day 288: I Found a Place!

This is truly amazing.

God is so good.

All the time!

I posted on Facebook my housing plight yesterday afternoon. And so many of my wonderful friends had helpful suggestions. Several offers for roommates came in.  But most of them so far from my work.

Then, I was heading home after teaching and just felt the need to sit and think.  Of course sitting and thinking go so much better with a cheeseburger on a rice cake, and what do you know...there I was getting off the bus in from of a McDonald's!

So I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, ditched the bun and plopped it down between two rice cakes (I always carry emergency rice cakes in my bags these days).

I opened up Facebook and found a message from the pastor at my church job. She and her family have a room in their basement that they have been wanting to rent. But they were hesitant to put up an ad. They preferred knowing the person.

And here I am!  This is a blessing in so many ways! I will help them by paying rent and being a p…

Year Three, Day 83: Prednisone, Grumpy Doc and the Pentateuch!

I barely hacked at all last night.
Probably due to the Prednisone my doctor prescribed me. I was hoping I'd get a new doctor this time around at the clinic that accepts my Oregon Health Plan coverage. But there he was. Grumpy Doc.
But my appointment was pleasant. I greeted him and asked him how he was. He lightened up and even smiled during our visit. I wonder if he has a rough life.  It turns out we have the same "virus". Yes virus. I do not have a bacterial infection. My stats show me as a very healthy woman!  
BP: 100/70, Pulse 79, temp 96.7, Weight 182 lbs. (My weight loss has stalled. After I did the 10-Day Grain Detox, I weakened and ate a few meals with much rice.  I have SOOO missed rice. But since then, I've gained two pounds, so today I'm going back to no grains.  For the time being.  I think I will allow a bit of rice now and then, but I still am looking at 40 more pounds that I'd like to drop. So must be strong!)
I told Grumpy Doc I hav…

Year Two, Day 305: The Secret is Out!

I will never get used to losing an hour of sleep. But got of bed and headed to church did I.

And ironically, I took this photo. At the crossroads!  I was so tired, I did not realize there was a crosswalk in the background until just now.

After church today, I stopped for lunch.  Opened up Facebook. And lo and behold my daughter and son-in-law have announced their pregnancy!

I admit, I have known for a few weeks.

And I have been bursting with the news! She made me promise not to post on Facebook or blog about my first grandbaby until she and her husband felt ready to announce it to the world.

I am so happy!

Nothing like a new life to fill you with hope!

It was funny how she broke the news to me.

About 2 weeks ago, I get a text message.  She had sent me an ultrasound picture with the following message: "Honey Dog would like you to know that she is going to be a big sister."

I immediately texted her back:

"Honey Dog is pregnant?"

Then I stopped in my tracks. Just stood …