Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 33: PPD v. Power in Action!


PPD (Post Performance Depression)

 I knew it would happen! It always does!

I put my heart and soul into a performance. Plus the countless hours practicing. And worrying. This time I think I crammed too much. I should have mastered this music weeks ago. Such a procrastinator am I!

So needless to say, I woke up this morning feeling like I had a hangover and had been run over by a truck. A semi-truck.  Over and over again!

I allowed myself to sleep in. No walk. No run. No coffee.

Oy, but I regret the no coffee now!

But I did hula hoop: 220 rotations!

I made it to my office job on time.

I put the flowers the choir gave me last night in a little vase with water.  They are cheering me up.  I do not regret my hangover. I just do need to remember to pace myself next time around.  Back to daily practice instead of cramming!

(I was guilty of being a crammer-style studier in college too. Old habits die hard!)

Speaking of habits, I am dealing with a bit of negativity here at the office.  I had a little email chat with my pastor boss this morning. She understands.  We both have experienced gossip and mean spirited people in churches, of all places! She recommended a sign with the scripture Philippians 4:8 for my office.

This was my response to her, which brought about some good deep soul searching:

"I love Philippians 4:8. I wrote it on my white board in the office when I first started.  I am stuck on Galatians 5:22-24 now because it is about my personal growth...

I know that churches can be a gossip mill. But we as followers of Jesus seriously need to rise above. What I struggle with when I encounter this type of behavior is that I tend to sink a little. I judge the "mean" people.  I try to maintain peace and kindness, but often feel this pull from the other people to be more like them. Like they think I am being a "goody-two-shoes' or have a superiority complex. Which is not true. If anything, I have an inferiority complex. 

But then I remind myself that I am a unique wonderful creation in the eyes of God.  

I know I cannot change people, but I would like to make an impact.  

I just realized that being mad at the mean people is not the way I wish to live...I am going to pray for them.  Not to change them. God may be using them to show me where I need to change...

Hmmm...good stuff...perhaps I should blog about it!

Sorry to ramble. Just venting. I wish I had gotten up early enough for coffee. This tea is not cutting it!"

Here is the scripture.  I ended up printing it, laminating and putting it up on the office door:



Thankfully I am off the rest of the week from teaching. I plan on doing much working out in the gym, cleaning, practicing piano, lunch with family, prayer and reading.  

I am feeling reinspired to emerge myself into music. Music feeds my soul.  It is a language I understand.  Especially if I keep myself fluent!

Instead of wallowing in despair, or seeking comfort through food, this time around I have ammunition. That I have learned through much self introspection, reading, prayer and simply living life. 

Today I am going to workout at the gym, sit in the hot tub, go to lunch with my daughter and then read, pray, practice and clean tonight.

Take that depression!

It takes power to overcome.

I am going to leave you with this quote:

"The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines 'power' as "the ability to act or produce and effect". Real power is basically the ability to change something if you want to change it".
~Brene Brown, I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Wasn't!)

Happy Wednesday!

You are loved, you are powerful! Be YOU with courage!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist