Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 132: A Hint of Purple and a Modern Granny!



I forgot to mention that I dyed my hair last weekend. It was supposed to come out purple. The shade pictured on the front of the box was a lovely violet. I was tired of seeing gray and thought, "I'm a grandma now. I can go purple!"

Alas, the first few days it came out Viking red, as usual. I guess I have the blood of a Viking woman.

But today, it is starting to show a hint of purple.

A Hint of Purple, 09/21, 2017





Here is my viking look a few days ago:



I like purple.

I woke up this morning at 3:00 a.m. After only 4 hours of sleep. As usual, I made the mistake of going online. I read about the devastation from the earthquake in Mexico, and Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. I prayed for the victims. And then I started to worry.  I knew better. I should have just prayed. Or maybe gotten up and done something productive. But I worried. I started thinking about the big earthquake that is supposed to hit the Pacific Northwest. That is in fact overdue. I keep telling myself I am going to get prepared. Get a go-bag packed.  Start buying supplies.  Make out lists of meeting places and important info for family members. But I have not done so.

Until this morning at 3:00 a.m. I did much research. I will print some forms at the library later.  But it occurred to me, that no matter how prepared we are, we are mere insects compared to the force of nature. There is no guarantee that I will be at home and able to grab my go-bag when the big one hits. I may be on the Max, on a bridge, in a building, walking down the street! The best I can do is have a plan, but then relax and enjoy what time I do have on this earth.  

So I finally sighed, played a few round of Word with Friends, and drifted off into a fitful sleep. I woke with a start hours later, with barely enough time to hoop!

It was cold, wet and dreary out. So I did my confined space hooping. On the sidewalk behind the house.

But you know, even though it was short, I felt revived!  Today is Day 96. I must never stop!

Even though I am quite tired, I am happy. I got home quite late last night. From babysitting my granddaughter alone for the first time! My daughter and her husband are youth group leaders at their church. They had not been in 2 weeks since the Baby Burrito landed.  They asked me if I could babysit for two hours. They even picked me up from home - the burrito had a checkup in Portland shortly after I got off work from my church office job.

So they whisked me away, and we proceeded to sit in traffic for nearly an hour. It was a blustery day!  Gray skies, ran, thunder and a bit of hail. But we are not complaining.  The rain is dousing the fires in the gorge! And it is a pleasure to inhale deeply, filling my lungs with sweet oxygen, minus smoke!

Anyway, we got home about an hour before they had to leave.  My daughter fed the burrito. And then I held her in the rocking chair. My daughter made us a nice salmon, rice and salad dinner.  After we ate, we changed the burrito and my daughter gave her one more feeding.

They put in a movie for me and they took off. My daughter was a little nervous.  Separation anxiety is painful!  I experience it myself!

But their church was not far. I told her I could keep her safe and happy for two hours.

And what a magical two hours it was!  Baby Burrito slept solid, making cute faces and cooing noises. My son-in-law had put in a movie for me. I chose a western that I had never seen: "Open Ranges" with Kevin Costner, Robert Duvall and Annette Benning. I enjoyed what I saw of it. Most of my time was spent gazing at my lovely granddaughter's face.

And of course, taking selfies for Facebook. I am a modern Granny!





She is just too precious for words!

I can hardly wait to see her again. Having major separation anxiety!

But I do need to keep myself in check. I have been overeating a bit lately.  Anxiety eating.  Last  night, I took the Max back from Cascades Station, where my son-in-law dropped me. And I was famished!  By the time I got off the train to transfer to my bus home, my stomach was growling.

Remember my rule: No food after 7:00 p.m.? No recreational eating?

Well, I broke it last night. Before lovely salmon dinner at my daughters, I noshed on a banana, raisins, and dried seaweed. I am not much for watching television. It seems to trigger munching.  Before my son-in-law put the movie in, they were watching "Family Feud" complete with most annoying commercials.  I think boredom brings on the munchies.

So there I was. 9:30 p.m. Just got off the Max. My bus home wasn't due for 30 minutes. And look, there was a Jack in the Box!  It was open until 11:00 p.m. And they served breakfast late!

Happily I ordered a platter of scrambled eggs, link sausage and home fries. And an orange juice. I was the only customer. But they had an outlet for me to charge my phone. And they had their big screen television tuned to the weather station. I was able to get caught up on Hurricane Maria, charge my phone and have some lovely time for reading.

I got to my bus stop just in time. Had a nice 3/4 mile walk home, while listening to my man Clyde Lewis on the radio.

Walked in the door at 11:00 p.m. Hit the pillow at 11:30 p.m.

I felt a tad guilty about my late night meal. But not too bad.  It was good protein.  And I went to sleep with a smile on my face. Full tummy and happy memories with the Baby Burrito.

Perhaps that explains my early morning insomnia. And grogginess later.  So, for my penance I had a strong cup of black tea at 10:00 a.m. A banana at 11:00 a.m.

I did not eat a real meal until 1:00 p.m. An omelette in a mug (two eggs beaten, 1/2 cup fresh spinach, 1 T butter, 2 T shredded cheese, salt, pepper and oregano. Mixed it all up and nuked in the microwave for 1 minute. Stirred. Nuked another minute. Oila! Omelette!)

I am going to take an apple with me on my teaching journey today. I definitely am going to stop at Starbucks. I am hooked on their Pumpkin Spice Lattes! But I order it with almond milk and just one pump of sweetener.

For dinner I am thinking a nice bowl of Pho!  Today will be a cleansing day!

I am so looking forward to this weekend. I am spending it with my daughter, mother and Baby Burrito!  On Sunday, I am going to church with my daughter and the Burrito!

The bluebird of happiness is strong with me!

On that note, I need to hit the dusty trail.

Happy Thursday!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita

p.s. Here is today's hooping video. Day 96!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic