Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 137: It's Good to Back with My Old Friend

 I practiced my piano this morning after my hoop session.

I must confess, I almost headed out to the corner gas station for a hot, bitter cup of coffee. It was a beautiful morning. Sun was shining. Not too hot, not too cold. Glimpses of fall in the changing colors.

But I would not have had time to hoop, walk to get coffee, come back and practice piano and then head to my part time church office job.

I chose piano practice. I have two gigs coming up.  And my system of doing a little bit each day works for me. 

After all, I am on day 101 of daily hooping! And I can definitely feel the difference!


 

I had a really good practice. I only had 30 minutes this morning, but I felt focused. My fingers nimble and strong. And my mind was clear. I was not worrying or thinking about anything. Just totally immersed in each note that I was playing.  It's times like this when making music is spiritual for me.

I headed to my office job feeling quite proud of self!

And I ran into two friends at work today.  R and R!  The first R is an older gentleman that leads one of the groups that meet in our church on Tuesdays. He always pops in and brings me fresh cut roses from his wife's garden. And then he usually plops down in the chair opposite my desk and shows me what projects he is working on. He likes to sew. He actually made me a little purse that I keep my keys and cell phone in when I am in church.

Today he is sewing book covers. Quite lovely.  We visited a bit and then he took off with a friendly wave.

"Keep up the good work!" he smiled.

"You too! Have a blessed day!", I waved back as I got back to my work.

About an hour later R2 popped in! I hadn't seen him in weeks. He plopped down in the chair and we visited.  He showed me pictures of his car. He told me he is considering selling it. And I would be the only one he would considered selling it to!

It is a beauty! A 1999 Pontiac Grand Am. Sparkly, emerald. He took very good care of it.  

I told him I would need a car when my daughter went back to work so I could help watch the Baby Burrito. But at the moment, I did not have any money. He said he would hold it for me.

I told him I was interested, but I was also considering a camper van.  And that if he decided not to sell it I would understand.

But I told him I am planning on doing a piano concert in November. I will use the profits to put in my car savings.

Now I am seriously starting to plan this concert!

I don't have much time to blog today.  I have a staff meeting at the Music Center. We have one meeting a year. That's why I've continued to work there, going on 20 years. Not so fond of meetings. But once a year, I can handle.

I have been reading my positive "Good Things"  list that I printed out yesterday. It is really helping keep my attitude positive.

I shared a bit of it with a sweet homeless lady at the bus stop earlier. I'll call her "Q". She said that life is a gift and we never know how long we have. I told her I agreed and that we are all God's children.

She told me she has a little mantra she says everyday.  She didn't share it with me, but she said she is autistic and yesterday she got the words "God" and "man" mixed up. She says she is working hard on keeping them straight today.

She asked me my name. She said it was beautiful. We shook hands.  It was a simple conversation, but it brightened my day to see her smile.

And on that note, I hope someone made you smile today!

Happy Tuesday!

Talk to you tomorrow!
 

Love,

Zita :)

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and