Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 119: Amazing Grace

Baby Grace likes music!

I discovered this out of desperation. I spent the night to help my daughter and son-in-law get adjusted to parenthood. My son-in-law has ninja baby swaddling and burping skills. My daughter and Baby Grace are getting the hang of breastfeeding. Grandma Zita's station is the rocking chair and lullabies. We worked shifts last night.

Baby would wake up and shriek. Dad would check diaper, swaddle her with a blanket (turns out he is highly gifted in the art of baby swaddling), mom would attempt to nurse (but as of last night, her milk had not come in. Baby was just getting colostrum. And she was not a happy camper!). So then they would hand her off to me. I walked, I talked, I rocked.

And then...

I sang. I sang "Amazing Grace".

She instantly stopped howling. She opened her big blue eyes. Looked right at me. Her little mouth formed a round "oh". She sighed. And got really still.

I couldn't believe it. I was filled with the deepest rush of love for this little human.

I kept singing and rocking. I smiled at her.

I swear she smiled back. My daughter hobbled out of her bedroom at peered at us in amazement.

Amazed that her daughter had stopped crying. And perhaps amazed that my singing had a part in this little miracle. I have never been known for my singing voice. At least not in a very positive way.

I think Grace and I bonded for life last night. And I do know she will be my youngest piano student ever!

My daughter's milk came in this morning. Grace is a very content baby.

She rode in the car seat to her doctor's appointment. Sleeping contentedly the whole way.

She even got to meet Great Grandma Blanche who burst into tears when she came up to the door.
I think we all needed this sweet little baby in our world just now.

Hurricanes, floods, wildfires, earthquakes.

In the midst of all that, a baby is born. And our world will be forever blessed

Happy Friday!

Talk to you tomorrow.


Grandma Zita


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…