Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 140: Sticking to IT!

I am having a real live day off!

It's been so nice not to have a schedule. My last day of freedom. I am enjoying it.


Fall term starts Monday.  I have a full load of students in group and private. Plus a choir to accompany.  In addition to my part time church lady job. And my gig with Portland Chamber Music.  I am subbing for their regular pianist. I like subbing. It gives me a playing music with other people fix without me feeling trapped with a commitment.

We are playing a concert in St. John's in October.  The music is lovely. I am especially enjoying the Dvorak. We are doing his Piano Trio #2, First movement.  Funny thing is, every time I play Dvorak or listen to his music, I feel a stirring in my soul. Like a "knowing". Don't know how else to describe it. Could it be because Dvorak was Czech?  My grandmother was also Czech.  Is his musical soul in my DNA?

I don't know, but I am definitely moved.

So much so, that I think I will end my little November concert with "Going Home", the theme from Dvorak's New World Symphony.  One of Dvorak's own students put lyrics to the melody and created a lovely song, that is reminiscent of African American spirituals.

I found this interesting tidbit on Wikipedia:

"Dvořák was interested in Native American music and the African-American spirituals he heard in America. As director of the National Conservatory he encountered an African-American student, Harry T. Burleigh, later a composer himself, who sang traditional spirituals to him and said that Dvořák had absorbed their 'spirit' before writing his own melodies. Dvořák stated:
I am convinced that the future music of this country must be founded on what are called Negro melodies. These can be the foundation of a serious and original school of composition, to be developed in the United States. These beautiful and varied themes are the product of the soil. They are the folk songs of America and your composers must turn to them."[(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._9_(Dvo%C5%99%C3%A1k).

As I am sitting here on a rainy day in my neighborhood library, my forearms have broken out in goosebumps. No, it is not cold in here. But as I read that quote by Dvorak, I felt this odd synchronicity.  I just told a friend online that I have eclectic tastes in music. My two favorite genres are classical and the blues.

And yesterday, I spent all afternoon teaching my "blues boys" piano students. A group of four boys who live on the same block in the SE Belmont area.  All of whom love the blues. We end each lesson with a blues jam.

I tend to take notice when this moments of synchronicity occur. I feel like God is hitting me over the head with a hammer. Or putting up a big flashing arrow that blinks and says: "Go this way!"

I will definitely continue exploring the Blues!

I am working on my piano program today. I had a good hour of practice after my hooping session. Then I took myself out to lunch. I like this dive buffet restaurant on SE 82nd. It is only $7.50 for lunch. It is odd. I take great pleasure in walking past all the deep fried foods, and potato dishes that I cannot eat, and loading up my plate with veggies, chicken, salad and fruit.  I stayed for quite awhile, drinking hot tea. The food is not great. It is ok.  But it boosts my self esteem and feelings of being in control around food. Because it is not extremely tasty, I do not binge.

Is that a weird way to think?

I don't know, it works!  This week I am focussing on keeping the sugar out of my diet. I kind of slipped the last  month or so. I blame it on the pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks.  And how could I forget the Maple Pecan Frappucino! I am gasping as I look at the nutritional content. I had mine with about 1/3 the sugar and almond milk but that is still about 23 grams of sugar!  A grande Maple Pecan Frappuccino has 68 grams of sugar in it! No wonder I was floating on a cloud last week!

YIKE! I'm surprised I didn't gain weight!

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/frappuccino-blended-beverages/maple-pecan-frappuccino-coffee

Just say no to the foofy drinks, Zita.

I found a recipe for a Mocha Smoothie in one of my Wheat Belly Books.  It has a green banana (I LOVE green bananas!) for probiotic fiber, coconut, almond milk, instant coffee and cocoa powder among other ingredients. NO sugar, but you can add a bit of Stevia for sweetener. Stevia is apparently a safe sweetener.  I am going to try this tomorrow and hopefully kick my Starbucks habit.

I was sticking to unsweetened iced tea this summer. I also have black coffee on occasion. I think my sweet tooth sneaks up on me when I am seeking comfort.

I need to stay alert and ward off that sweet tooth!

On another note, I am really inspired by the Joyce Meyer book I am reading. (The Mind Connection). It was this book that suggested I start each day saying positive biblical affirmiations out loud. I liked that so much, that I printed a few copies: One for my desk in the office, one for the office bulletin board, one for at home and a few for friends. My friend "J", the Sign Ninja liked his so much, he took a picture of it with his phone. It texted it to me a few mornings ago. I confessed to him that I am not a morning person and need incentive to get me vertical in the morning!

Today, at my dive lunch buffet restaurant, I was writing favorite scripture passages in a little notebook and it occured to me that that I can write my own "WAKE UP HAPPY" daily affirmations. I will work on them tonight. I plan on using several verses from the Psalms. I adore the Psalms!

I have so many more thoughts. but I need to finish my musical program, go to the gym and then back home to practice some more.

I am missing my Baby Burrito, but I am also getting much needed rest so I can care for her properly when I see her again.

On that note, I hope that you are cared properly until I talk to you again!

Happy Friday!  I am loving this rain!


Talk to you tomorrow,

Zita


PS Here is my daily hooping video. Today was day 104! :) I LOVE my hoop and I am so impressed that I am sticking to it!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Three, Day 58: Marilyn Monroe's Measurements

Day 24 of daily hooping. I am determined to shrink these abs, if it is the last thing I do! Perhaps I should have that written on my tombstone: "Here lies Zita". Flat abs at last!! Well I certainly hope to attain my flat abs goal BEFORE I am dead and gone! Today's video was another rush job. But I downloaded some fun tunes to my Kindle last night.  I enjoyed my hoop session more listening to the Punjabi music. It reminded me of the "Maritime Bhangra Dancers".  If you haven't heard of them, you should look them up. They never fail to put a smile on my face! I am not smiling so much looking at this video. My hooping skills have improved a bit, but that menopot has got to go! After my hoop session, I walked 3/4 mile to the bus stop. I was planning on attending the 10:00 a.m. Mass at the Grotto, but it was cutting it close. Plus, I was feeling the need for a Starbucks iced tea.  Today was Iced Passionfruit/Black Tea, no sugar whatsoever.   The ic