Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 116: Baby Grace!


I did not sleep much last night. I was glued to the news.  The air, even in the house, which has A/C was smoky.

Yesterday, at the Labor Day barbecue with my daughter and son-in-law, we were distracted by the smoke and falling ash. But my mind and emotions were wrapped around my daughter. She did not look well. She said she thought she had gotten sick from eating a spicy sausage with their church youth group the night before.

But I had a feeling she was going into labor.  She visited the bathroom many, many times. I rubbed her back and feet as she rested.  She finally ate a bit and had some ginger ale at the barbecue. But I was worried.  Her cheeks were red.

I was worried about her blood pressure. My mother, a retired nurse, had taken it that morning and it was normal. Her blood sugars were also normal. I texted my son-in-law a site about preeclampsia; the signs and symptoms.

This must have worried him, because last night he called and said one of their friends next door, a nurse, took her blood pressure. It was normal.

Call it mother intuition. I prayed for her all night.

My daughter is now in the hospital. In labor!

I am sworn to secrecy. She does not want me to post to Facebook, or  blog until Baby Grace arrives.

I am keeping my word. No really! Yes, I am typing this right now. But I will not post until after she arrives.

So I may have to put this on tomorrow's blog.

Anyway, my heart is beating very fast. So excited to meet my granddaughter. But praying my daughter has a healthy, uncomplicated delivery. It always hurts me to see her in pain.

So on to the next subject.

Wildfires. I am devasted. Our beloved Columbia River Gorge is on fire. Firefighters have covered the Multnomah Falls Lodge with foam in an attempt to save it.  I-84 is closed between Troutdale and Hood River. Several towns have been evacuated near the fire. Schools there closed.

And this monstrous fire has jumped over the Columbia River into Washington!

The air quality is horrible here. Thick, gray, ash falling everywhere. Portland Public Schools are dismissing two hours early today because of the heat and poor air quality.

But, I, the Hoop Warrior did my hooping early this morning. Complete with face mask:




Update:  She has arrived! 9/5/2017 @ 3:05pm Grace Isabel  was brought into this world.

Thank God for a healthy baby (6 pounds 10 ounces at 19") and for a smooth delivery!



I am sitting in a rocking chair in a hospital from. Gazing at this little miracle while her exhausted mom and dad snore.

My friend and I were sharing our grief over the burning of our previous Columbia River Gorge earlier. Suddenly my son-in-law texted me that they were in the hospital. I told my friend that my daughter was in labor. I will always cherish what she said next:

 "You're gonna love this. And yes, so wonderful to have the affirmation that "Babies are God's opinion that life should go on."

Love my beautiful granddaughter, Grace Isabel. She is indeed what we needed.

Love to all of you!

Happy Tuesday!

Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and