Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 125: Have Hoop, Will Travel

It is 3:55 a.m. I had a nightmare. I can't recall the details, but my heart is pounding. I was thinking about yesterday's events again.

I took a deep breath. Said a prayer for everyone in my life. Even the ones who hurt me. It is tempting to curse them. But that is not how I roll.  Jesus tells me to love them. ALL of them.

I thought about my granddaughter, my daughter, my son.I reminded myself to focus on the good and the love. I dozed back to sleep, feeling calmer. And grateful.

It is now 2:55 p.m.. I have had a stellar day so far! I am having a Skinny Pumpkin Frappacino (low sugar, almond milk) at Starbucks before I go to teach a group of wonderful boys, all of whom are at various levels of piano blues improvisation!

They are all on the same block, in fact they live right across the street from each other. Four boys, ages 7 through 14. Thursday is one of my favorite teaching days.

Notice that I have my hoops amongst my bags.
After I am done teaching, I am hopping on the Max towards Vancouver. To spend two nights with the BABY BURRITO!  And my daughter, mother and son-in-law too. :)

I can't wait. I am having BB withdrawals!

I am bringing my hoop, because I have a mild hula hoop addiction. I can't go a day without!

Here is me on day 89 this morning:


My day at the office was sublime.  Everyone that walked in was pleasant.  And I'm sure they left with a smile on their faces. Because they all asked about my granddaughter. At which points I whipped out photos galore. I love showing her off. I hope I have not become too boring. But people tend to gravitate towards happy people. Even if they are boring!

My antagonist did not appear, thankfully.  I am praying for her and hope our next meeting will be kinder. But I'm ok with a break.

I actually like my office job when the people are nice.

And the icing on the cake? My boss told me yesterday that she is signing me up for an online computer class through Clackamas Community College to brush up on my word processing skills.

She had me at online class. I LOVE taking classes! I was practically jumping up and down!

I am half way through piano blues class I have been taking through Rochester University, a free course through Coursera. I can opt to buy a certificate for $50 at the end for proof if I desire.

I love the course. It is a bit deep at times. We are getting into jazz chords.  But brain pain is good.

Speaking of pain, and on a more somber note, I just read that North Korea unleashed another missile over Japan. The Japanese are on alert.  This is so frightening.

I have begun reading a book about Christians in North Korea. It is a very dangerous existence for them.  I was struck by the following statement in the introduction:

'"How can we pray for North Korean Christians?"...They answered, "Pray for us? We pray for you!?
When we asked why, they replied, "Because Christians in the West still have some wealth and freedom and power. Most have not yet experienced what it is like when all you have in life is God."'
(These are the Generations, Mr. and Mrs. Bae, as told to the Rev. Eric Foley.

It reminded me of my revelation of my "thorn" yesterday.  If we are so immersed in our worldly, selfish, materialistic lives, how can we feel the need to depend on God?  It is interesting how, in times of disaster, natural or man-made, people pray.

But I want to challenge myself to pray everyday. Even when things are going well.

I prayed this morning. And when I read about the newest missile launched by North Korea, I stopped everything and prayed.

It has become a part of my life.

One of my favorite saints has always been St. Francis of Assisi. This was a man  known for his walk with the animals. But more than that, he walked his talk. I admire that.

Francis of Assisi said, "It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching."


I do not have much more time to write. I have to run to my piano blues boys. And then off to see the Burrito!

But, before I go, I want to wish you a happy Thursday!  May you be blessed and our world become a safer place for all.

Love,

Zita





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and