Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 120: The Bee

I am writing this Sunday. I was beyond exhausted Saturday.

Friday night Grace was up every 30 minutes to an hour. Screaming. Her little tiny fists balled up. Her mouth wide open. She seemed ravenously hungry. But she was having trouble nursing. My daughter was in pain. She still couldn't sit down. It was painful for all of us. Trying to take care of baby, and my daughter, whil functioning on little sleep. Finally she was able to nurse and fell asleep about 5 a.m.

I got two hours of sleep. My mother arrived about 7:00 to pick me up for breakfast. She seemed shocked by my pale face. We told her about our evening. She peered at her great granddaughter, sleeping like an angel. She looked at me in disbelief.

We had our breakfast.

 The coffee helped to see into my nearly comatose state.

"How did I ever survive motherhood?" I asked my mother.

"I was just asking myself that", she replied. And you did it all by yourself".

I reminded her that she did help.

"But I was work8ng full-time at the hospital", she replied. I wish I could have done more".

It felt good to hear her say that.

We finished our breakfast and headed up to the church
 She was m6 first student of the day. My head was pounding. My eyes hurt. I did not know how I would last through 7 hours of piano lessons.

I told her to start warm8ng up with scales while I went to turn on the lights. I took off my shoes and put down my bags. And shuffled to the back of the sanctuary. I was reaching for the light switch when suddenly I felt a sharp pain on the bottom of my right foot. I tried to ignore it, still reaching for the switch. But the pain intensified. I stopped and looked down, thinking I stepped on a tack. It was dark in the back of the church. I looked down at the floor. Shook my throbbing foot. Something fell off, onto the floor.

Something dark, small and moving!

I had stepped on a bee. And it stung me.

"Keep practicing", I called out to my mom. "I just stepped on a bee".

"A what?", she asked in between notes.

"A bee. It stung me".

She stopped playing and stared. "How did you manage that"? , she asked bewildered

I mumbled something and limped to the bathroom. I didn't see a stinger. I washed it off. Then I found the culprit on the floor near the electrical panel. I switched in the lights. I felt a pang of compassion for this little guy. He was dying. Because I stepped on him and he was forced to sting me.

But I also felt wide awake. It was like a shot of adrenaline.

I sailed through my lessons. All because of a bee!

Last weekend I had dinner with my son. We had Chinese food. It was the day before my daughter went into labor.

I was stunned when I read my fortune:


This is one fortune that has come true.

Love,

Zita










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 248: I G T J!

I got the job! I had such a good feeling when I went into the interview. Lovely little church, really cool pastor (She preaches without her shoes! My type of woman!) I'll be the church secretary. It is very part time. But it will give me a little financial stability so I can breathe a bit! I will have to alter my morning routine. Eh hem, read that as WAKE UP EARLIER! Which I have been attempting to do since I have been writing this blog. Ok. Since I have been alive! Not a morning person, am I!  :) I am so happy. Because yesterday morning, there were so many hurdles getting to the interview, that I said, "God, I'd better get this job after all I am going through!" And He answered my prayer. Thank You, God. You are so good! But about those hurdles... First, I found out a MAX train had derailed early in the morning, which caused delays system wide.  That put a cramp in my commute, since the shortest trip to the church was to hop on Max to the mall and