Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 216: Six Months of Daily Hooping

Today is Day 180 of my daily weighted hula hooping experiment. Time moves on whether you are doing anything or not.

I am proud of myself for sticking with it!

Here is my Day 1 Video:

And here is today's video. Six months later!

Now if I could only get rid of this cough. Sigh. I'm sticking with my no meat, no wheat, no sugar, no dairy diet. Today is day 3. I am finding it not difficult. After all, I've had plenty of experience eliminating various food substances from my diet.

In addition to my dietary changes, I'm using an inhaler, taking Allegra and using a saline nose spray. I think I'm going to have vegetarian pho for dinner. My energy level is higher than usual. My head feels pretty clear. But the cough persists. And I have a sniffly nose.

But...I can walk several miles a day. I can hoop every morning. I am alive. I have a family I love, even when they annoy me. I have wonderful students, many who have become like family. I have work. I have a roof over my head. And stellar public transportation. I have a God that hears me when I pray. I have friends and friends to be. And a whole world to explore. I will not let this cough dictate my life!

But I do have an appointment to see my nurse practitioner again on Tuesday. I am curious what she will suggest. I have some time off from teaching after this weekend. I am still playing for two more homeless concerts and watching Baby Gracie. But I have a break from teaching and choir practice until after the New Year.

I plan on also working in an acupuncture appointment, some hot tub soaks and maybe a massage.

Not ready to throw in the towel just yet!

I am on the Parkrose Express bus. Smack dab in the middle of the I-205 bridge, over the Columbia River. Halfway between Washington and Oregon at the moment.
Typical overcast day. But bone chilling cold. I am heading back to Portland to teach. I have learned that there are some things I do really well. Teaching is one. 

And I just now realized that I have achieved one of my life goals. 

To make a difference in this world. Long after I am gone, my memory will live on in my students.

And that makes me happy!

Happy is a good word to end on.

I will talk to you tomorrow. But right now, I am going to enjoy today!

Happy Friday!




Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…