Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 232: 2018 Additions

Happy New Year's Eve!

There is a palpable excitement in the air. The moon is full and the sunset was divine. I pointed it out to my daughter and son-in-law as we came out to the parking lot of the grocery store.

"Look!" I said. "God is giving us a sign!"

"A sign of what?" asked my daughter.

"That 2018 will be a very good year!" I proclaimed.

Seriously, there were the most glorious shades of deep purple, magenta, pink and blue.

Speaking God, I finally made it to Portland Bible Church this morning. The last time I was there, Baby Gracie was still in the womb. At least 4 months I've been away.

I almost slept in.  Was very tired this morning. And sore. But no coughing still....I'd better find some wood to knock on!

I found some internal motivation to get vertical, with just enough time to get a quick hoop workout in before I walked to the bus stop.

It was a glorious day. Clear and sunny, but chilly.  The air smelled fresh and crisp. And something else. I smelled hope.

I haven't felt this good in a long time.

And I am so glad I made it to church!  They had to close last Sunday because of the snow. So today's message was a Christmas message.  It was fascinating as usual.  I took copious notes!

As I sat there, it occurred to me that I had spent many hours in the very room where the church held services. It meets at the Community Music Center. Where I have taught group piano and accompanied an adult choir for 20 years now.  The auditorium where I sat, was the same auditorium where I held my student piano recitals. It was also the same auditorium where choir practice was held. And where I gave my solo concerts.

Interesting, it didn't seem like a music center today. It felt like church.  Filled with friends. And the presence of God.

I need to keep coming every Sunday. Portland Bible Church feeds my soul.

And speaking of food, after church I headed up to one of my favorite breakfast spots, Tecos.  I had the chorizo plate - eggs, chorizo, refried beans, rice and guacamole. Then I sat and wrote in my prayer journal, and studied.

In studying, I discovered a bible passage that really spoke to me. Last year I chose a scripture to focus on for the year of 2017:  

James 1:22 (NIV) "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says!" 

For the year 2018, I have chosen two scriptures to focus on:

2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV)  "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

Jeremiah 29:11 (NKJV) "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

And speaking of the new year, I would like to continue with my tradition of "New Year's Additions".  

Here is my post from last New Year's:



For the past several years I have been making a list of positive "Additions" that I want to bring into my life for each New Year. I went back through my FB history and I believe I began this in 2011.  My list is pretty similar each year, but I do see some progress in my life.

Here is my first declaration on 12/31/2011 from my Facebook page:


"I make no New Year's Resolutions. Instead I make additions. This year I am adding more healthy, raw food to my diet. I am adding more smiles to everyone I meet. I am adding bigger ears to hear my friends in need. I am adding a bigger heart to love my family, my friends, my planet, my dog. I am reinventing myself. This is a not just a new year, it is a new me!" December 31, 2011 ~Zita Jefferson

Here were my 2012 Additions:

1. Dance! Zumba and Salsa top my list.
2. Running!
3. More playtime with family, friends and dog.
4. Romance!!!
I could not find 2013 and 2014. (I post way too much on Facebook!)

Here are 2015 Additions:

1) Workout at the gym at least 3 days a week.
2) Stretch and do yoga regularly. Especially mornings and evenings.
3) Daily Bible reading
4) Drink more water! A lot of it! smile emoticon
5) Listen to people more.
6) Give of myself more.
7) Work on memorizing pieces at the piano (my lifelong weakness)
8) Read more classic literature
9) Read more poetry
10) Be present with my family more
11) Laugh more!
12) More green smoothies!




And 2016 Additions:

1. Even more exercise.
2. Even more prayer.
3. More stretching.
4. Drink more water.
5. Spend more time with friends and family.
6. More helping people.
7. Read poetry.
8. Read classical literature.
9. Memorize one piece a month on piano.
10. Learn to play my ukulele.

I am pleased to say that I have kept most of my additions from 2015 and 2016!  I am giving myself a big high five!

And now, for my 2017 additions:

1. Continue daily prayer and bible study.
2. Continue daily exercise.
3. Add more core strengthening.
4. Continue to drink more water.
5. Continue to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables.  
6. Continue to spend more time with friends and family.
7. Continue to help people whenever I can.
8. Read more poetry.
9. Read more classical literature.
10. Memorize more piano music.
11. Compose and improvise more.
12.  Continue to practice ukelele.
13. Take a dance class.
14.  Allow romance in my life.
15. Keep my chin up!

And now...
DRUM ROLL...

Here are my 2018 additions!


1. BABY GRACIE IS MY TOP ADDITION!
2. Continue daily hooping routine. Add weight training and running. 
3. Continue daily prayer and bible study.
4. Continue to drink more water.
5. Continue to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables.  
6. Continue to spend more time with friends and family.
7. Continue to help people whenever I can.
8. Read more poetry.
9. Read more classical literature.
10. Memorize more piano music.
11. Compose and improvise more.
12.  Continue to practice ukelele.
14.  Allow romance in my life, maybe...Only if it seems right!
15. Join church bowling league - for my social and athletic development! (I'll be starting this month with my daughter and son-in-law's church)
16. This I added later- I want to be the #1 champion in Words with Friends!

And there you have it!


Happy New Year!
Talk to you tomorrow!
Love,

Zita





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i