Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 223: Chickens

Up with the chickens I am!

Hey...that reminds me of a musical joke I tell my students.

"Why did Mozart hate chickens?

Because they walked around saying "Bach, Bach, Bach!"


I know. Lame

Feeling so much better today.  One indication is that I am up before sunrise. I only hacked a few times last night.  We'll see what happens after I am through with this course of Prednisone.

My nurse practitioner also prescribed inhaled steroids.  When I am done with my Prednisone, if I am still plagued by the cough, I am to use the inhaler twice a day as a preventive measure.

I am still taking L-Lysine and Ginseng.  As well as following the Reflux Diet.  I had a bit of a backslide last night, though to be honest. I decided to stay home instead of spend the night at my daughter's.  It was cold and I was tired.  I finished my Uninvited book by Lysa TerKeurst. I told one of my FB friends that I plan on rereading it. I do.  I think I will just go right back to the beginning and read it through again. It is that good!

But I had a bit of a snack attack while I was reading. I ate about 1/2 cup of chocolate covered peanuts.  But it was at least 3 hours before I went to bed. I think that is key. Because if you eat too close to bedtime and then lay down, the gastric juices flow upwards.

I also got some more piano practice in.  I want to make sure I am always prepared. Even though this is volunteer work, I want to have pride.  My spiritual breathing exercises are helping too. When I worry, or get annoyed or feel guilty, I feel a burning in my throat and then....the COUGH!

I know this has an emotional element.

I had a lovely surprise in the mail. A card from a mom of two sisters who I teach. They said some really sweet things about how they love piano and music because of me. And mom put in a nice money gift.  This is so timely because I told my mother I want to take her out for dinner for Christmas. She has been having a hard time. She doesn't complain. But I know her back hurts, she cares for my dad who has Parkinson's disease and had a stroke last year at Christmas. She also babysits her granddaughter in Lake Oswego and Baby Gracie in Vancouver. So much for retirement right?

But she is a role model for taking care of her family. But she has always been so strong and optimistic. No one has ever thought about caring for her.  At least I hadn't given it much though until recently.

So I am taking her to dinner at her favorite restaurant tomorrow after I play for the homeless concert. I was worried that we would have to be frugal since I have  a two week break from teaching. But now, we can celebrate in style!  Maybe even a glass of wine! :)

Things are looking up my friends.

Today, I am going to remember three things that I wrote in my The Mind Connection Study Guide, by Joyce Meyer:

1. Be my unique self, while be kind and considerate to others.
2. Instead of worrying, talk to God about anything that bothers me.
3. Read the Bible instead of FB and Words with Friends while waiting for the bus.

And now, I am going to go out and hoop in the dark!  BRB....

I'm back. It's quite cold outside, but it was refreshing and exhilerating to hoop in the dark winter morning!  I feel quite empowered!

Next, I'm going to quietly practice (so as not wake the sleeping roommates upstairs) and then head out to catch the Max to Cascades Station.  I plan on chilling at Starbucks before I head over the river to babysit Baby Gracie. I think I deserve a London Fog today!

Talk to you tomorrow. Happy Friday!



P.S. Here is my hooping video. Day 186!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…