Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 208: The X-Ray and Happy Homeless People (and a Dog)

I slept like a log last night. Very little coughing. But I woke up super early. I think I finally got into some good, deep REM sleep!  I also think I was worried about making it to my x-ray appointment on time.

So I popped up, hooped and headed out the door to catch my bus super early. I was pleased to discover that the clinic where I was to be x-rayed was just a 5 minute walk from the Village Inn restaurant near Mall 205.  So I hopped on the max and headed out for a leisurely breakfast before my appointment.

It was quite cold this morning. And windy!  My chest felt remarkably clear. It must be the Azithromycin!  But my nose was congested. And my right knee was aching.  Oy. Am I turning into an old woman or what?

Aside from my aches and pains, I felt good. It was a relief to know that I am finally being taken seriously. I had a wonderful breakfast:  A cheese omelette, grits, turkey sausage, fruit and hot tea.  Then I walked up to the clinic.  It was quite busy, but I was seen on time. The x-ray technician, a young woman in maybe her early 30's was efficient, but kind. She asked if I had been a smoker. If I had asthma.  The color of my mucous. Oy. Sorry. My mucous is quite a popular subject of conversation these days.

The x-ray took maybe 15 minutes. She told me they would have the result in one to two days.

I left feeling light as air.  My knee still ached a bit and my nose was completely plugged up. So, since it was still early in the day, I headed over to the gym. I had planned on working out, but suddenly was so tired. I felt like I could just lay right down on the sidewalk and sleep for days! 

So, I opted for a long soak in the hot tub, a visit to the steam room and a long, hot shower.  The weather today, although brisk, and chilly, is clear and sunny. Really quite a beautiful day for December in Portland. No clouds. No rain.  After my hydrotherapy, I walked slowly to the bus stop.  My sinuses had cleared. My knee felt better. I had let the jets pound on it in the hot tub and did some gentle stretching.  I am determined to lose this extra weight. If I get my lungs healthy, it would really suck to have knee problems!

On the bus, I sat and let my mind wander.  I have been thinking about the homeless a lot lately. It is so cold. I see so many tents under bridges as I travel about on Max and the bus.  And I seem to meet homeless people in my travels.  I am worried about a family member who has lost his job and is having trouble paying rent. I think he may be joining the ranks of the homeless soon. I have been quite close many times myself.

A few nights ago, I stopped off at McDonald's on the way home from teaching. Lately, I have been going to the one on SE 82nd off of Foster Road. It is a homeless haven.  It is the McDonald's where I met the elderly man a few weeks ago, who had a message from God for me.  I guess with my big winter coat, and backpack, I feel like I fit in.  I get funny looks elsewhere. People probably assume I'm homeless if they don't know me.  I usually get a few panhandlers as I sit with my Egg McMuffin without the muffin between two hashbrowns, and ice water. I always keep spare change handy.

The other night, I had two Egg McMuffins without muffins. I have a McDonald's app on my phone. The special that day was "buy one breakfast sandwich, get one free".  I was tired and wheezy. I didn't have the energy to tell the cashier "no muffin". I just ordered two sandwiches and two hashbrowns. I took wrapped the muffins back up and put them in the bag. At that McDonald's, I often leave my muffins on the tray on top of the garbage for the homeless.  That night, a very dirty, rumpled, older man with a very red face and long beard  approached my table. He said he was hungry. I was very broke, but I told him I don't eat bread and asked if he'd like my muffins. His face lit up and he grabbed the bag I handed him. "Thank you!", he grinned.

I smiled.  Then I sat and enjoyed my sandwiches.  I read a little. I caught up on emails. It was raining quite heavily. I didn't know the transit tracker code for the bus stop I needed, so I just packed up and headed out. When I got there, I discovered the bus was not due for almost 20 minutes. So I headed back to McDonald's. I felt a little weird sitting down without ordering anything. But no one seemed to notice.

Suddenly, a man about my age came to my table. He had long, dirty blond hair, a scraggly beard and piercing blue eyes.  He plunked his backpack on top of the table. 

"My baby is in here", he said.

I looked up with a start at the word 'baby'.

"What?" I said hesitantly. He had already started to unzip his backpack. I was afraid to look.

But then, a little pink nose poked out. And two big bulging brown eyes were looking at me curiously.

"He's a little Chihuahua/Pom mix. His name is Mijo. It means 'son' in Spanish", he grinned. He was missing quite a few teeth. But his smile lit up his face.

I petted Mijo.  Then another older man came up. He sat down like we were all good friends.

"This here's a good man", he said, pointing to his friend.  "So is Mijo".

He proceeded to reach in his pocket and pull out a bunch of coins. He threw them on the table. They started counting.

"You think we have enough for two coffees?", the older one asked.

I looked at the table. I saw many dirty pennies. 

"Here", I said. I reached in my pockets and pulled out all my spare change that I keep handy for panhandlers. I deposited a few dollars in quarters on the table.

"Go get some coffee", I smiled.

They were all grins. The older one scooped up the change and headed to the counter. Mijo's dad shouted, "Remember, I like mine with 10 packs of sugar!"

I smiled at him. I petted Mijo one more time and then realized it was almost time for my bus.

I headed out into the rain. My heart was full. I felt warm. And happy.

It was actually the happiest I have felt in sometime. Except for the time I spend with my granddaughter, of course!

I think being homeless has long been a fear of mine. But now I realize that it is not a shameful thing. They are people. Just without shelter for the moment.  And like all groups, some have bigger hearts than others.  What I have is my family, my students, my music.  That will never change. But what I learn from my encounters is that money, houses, and status does not necessarily make a happy life.  Because for that moment at McDonald's, the two men I bought coffee for were very happy. I was happy to see them happy. And little Mijo, well he looks like he is always happy!

I have no other words today. 

But I do wish you a happy Wednesday!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,

Zita



P.S. I guess I do have a few more words. Here is today's hooping video. Day 171!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Two, Day 313: Most Excited Am I!

I almost started today's blog with my standard, "Most tired am I" And I am. So tired. And ready for spring.  But tonight when I got home, my wonderful housemate told me that I had a package waiting for me on the counter.  So I ran in and found the book I had been waiting for: Open Mind, Open Heart , by Thomas Keating. Most excited am I! I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, filled my water and was heading downstairs to open my new book - but I had to detour around the cat who had just killed and attempted to eat a spider. Good kitty! :) I ordered this book the day that I was inspired to turn my introversion into a positive. To use it as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship with God. To go up to the next level in my spiritual path. Thomas Keating is known as "The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage" Ewert H. Cousins, General Editor, "World Spirituality, An Encyclopedic Hist