Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 204: Citron Tea v. Antibiotics

The cough continues. I am wondering if it will last for the rest of my mortal life.

At breakfast this morning my mother firmly suggested that I make another doctor's appointment. She sounded serious. So I obeyed. I know better than to argue when she has that look. She definitely had that look!

I was surprised when the clinic answered the phone on a Saturday. I made an appointment for Tuesday morning. The receptionist informed me that my regular doctor was unavailable at that time. He asked me if I would be ok seeing the nurse practitioner?

OK?! I wanted to dance and sing. But my mother was looking at me. She still had the look. So I just smiled and said, "That would be fine."

I have been frustrated with the minimalist care (i.e. continually prescribing Prednisone, nothing else) of my primary care physician.

My mother looked at me knowingly when I finished scheduling.

"Exaggerate your symptoms", she said, sipping her black coffe.

"Why?" I asked, stirring honey and lemon into my tea.

"So they will give you antibiotics", she said.

I sighed. My mother is a firm believer in the power of penicillin. Me, not so much. First of all, I am allergic to penicillin. Second, I have done enough r research to know that antibiotics kill good and bad microorganisms. I kind of would like to keep my good microorganisms, thank you very much.

But I am weary of the cough.

I did, however discover yet another Chinese home remedy at the Chinese market next door to the church where I teach on Saturdays. It is called "Citron Tea". The ingredients are honey, Orange peel, agar and sugar. It tastes like orange marmalade. I mixed it in with my tea today.

 It seemed to soothe my throat and loosen things up a bit. Plus, it is quite yummy. Of course, with all that sugar, it can't be healthy. But, I'll drink citron tea instead of taking antibiotics anyday!

And now, off to bed. Rest is God's most powerful healer.

Talk to you tomorrow!



P.S. Here is today's hooping video. Day 167!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…