Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 226: Christmas Hallelujah

Merry Christmas my dear reader!

Something amazing happened last night. I was out walking in the fresh snow, heading to Starbucks. I passed a church on the corner, near my daughter's house. It was right behind the bus stop, where I sought shelter from the snow. I ducked in, adjusted my scarf and stared at the church. I wondered if they might have a Christmas day service. I was essentially stranded in Vancouver for at least another day. I would really like to go to church.

So I looked up their number and gave them a call. Amazingly, a voice answered on the second ring. He sounded as surprised as I to find someone on the other end.

I asked him if they were were holding a church service Christmas day.

He told me no, not Christmas, but they had two Christmas Eve services. One at 5:00 and one at 7:00 p.m.

I thanked him and hung up. Just then, the bus pulled up. And then deposited me a block from Starbucks.

I enjoyed my time there. I sat looking out the window, watching the snow fall, while sipping a Gingerbread latte with almond milk.

I pondered my life so far. I inhaled and exhaled deeply, thankful for this gift of quiet. I thought about the church I just called. It was 4:30 p.m. I would not make it back in time for the 5:00 service. But the 7:00 p.m. was a possibility.

I had not brought any of my books or even my Kindle with me as I set out into the snow. I had planned on it. I had packed a bag with my bible a notebook, pen, pencil and Kindle. Quiet, alone time at Starbucks always meant an ideal time for reading, studying and pondering!

But my daughter gave me one of her looks as I packed my bag and put on multiple layers of clothing. She suggested I leave the bag behind. In case the buses weren't running and I had to walk.

She was worried about me trudging through a snowstorm lugging a heavy bag.

She made a good point. I grabbed only my cell phone and umbrella. It felt freeing to travel so light.

As I headed home, I saw the tail lights of my return bus. So I put on my gloves, and tightened the string of the hood of my jacket and set out to walk home a mile. In the snow.

I was the only one walking. It was dark. But the snow reflected off the street lights. It was beautiful. I liked the sound of the snow crunching under my feet. It was cold, but no wind. I walked briskly, thankful that my cough was gone and that I was healthy enough to walk a mile briskly in the snow.

I took a deep breath, telling myself to be present in this moment. I thanked God for my life. And just then, in the quiet, I felt a stirring in my soul. I knew I must make it to the 7:00 p.m. Christmas Service near my daughter's house.

I did! It was lovely. And near the end we lit candles and sung "A Christmas Hallelujah" by candle light. I ran into M & I, the neighbors of my daughter and son-in-law. I sat with them and they gave me a ride home.

A perfect evening!

Baby Gracie slept through the night and then took a Christmas morning nap with my daughter while I did the dishes. The roads were still icy, so we relaxed and watched a movie over breakfast.

By 1 p.m. the roads were clear. Just a bit of icy slush on the back roads. My daughter, son-in-law and Baby Gracie had plans at his sister's house. I was invited, but I gently declined. I had my own plans...

Star Wars: The Last Jedi!

Sshhhh... It starts in 2 minutes!

Talk to you tomorrow!




Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…