Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 227: Medium Popcorn, Extra Butter

I'm blogging at 4:25 a.m. Wednesday morning. I set out to do it last night at 10:30. But I passed out. Most tired was I. From a long day with my daughter and Gracie. A long, happy, productive day. Complete with icy roads, laundry, walking and babysitting.

But before I talk about yesterday, I want to tell you about my Star Wars adventure!

Don't worry. I won't spoil it for you if you have not yet seen it.

It was the extraordinary! I was in the edge if my seat the whole time. I loved going to the theater alone! I was able to relax and focus on the screen. I didn't have to make awkward awkward conversation. Just the movie, my popcorn and I!

Ok. About that popcorn. I was so excited to have my own bag. With no one to condemn me for the extra butter. I like butter on my popcorn. Let's out it this way: I like my popcorn SWIMMING in butter!

So after I purchased my ticket, I trapsed merrily over to the concession stand. A young bespectacled man took my order.
"One medium popcorn, with lots of extra butter and a small soda", I grinned.

Behind me, a trim, rather stern looking woman asked for popcorn, "dry, no butter".

I shuddered. Dry popcorn reminds me of Styrofoam.

The young man handed me my cup. I turned around and filled it with my poison of choice: Diet Coke. It had been awhile. I was so looking forward to the combination of hot, buttered popcorn, and the fizzy cold bite of a Diet Coke. Heaven was at hand!

I returned to the bespectacled lad, soda in hand. He handed me my bag. I paid the exorbitant price of movie theater popcorn and drink and headed into Auditorium 4. I found a single seat, away from the crowd and settled in happily just as the previews began.

I put my soda in the drink holder and dug into my bag of popcorn.


It seemed dry. I did not detect a drop of butter. I decided to practice mindful eating. Even though there was no one sitting next to me that I would annoy with my animal like eating, It is always good to be mindful. I ate one or two jetneks at a time, followed by a swig of soda. Still dry. I shook the bag. Perhaps all the butter had settled in the bottom of the bag?

Suddenly the screen went dark. And the legendary words appeared:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away...

And I got lost in the movie. Which was simply amazing.

I never found any butter on my popcorn. I am guessing in an auditorium not so far away, a trim, stern looking woman was horrified to find extra butter on her popcorn.

Ok. True confession. It is now 11:33 a.m. I fell asleep again at 5 a.m. with my cell phone in my hand. Mid blog.

I will blog about yesterday later today.

Until then, stay safe and warm.

And may the force be with you!



P.S. This is yesterday's hoop video. Day 189


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Three, Day 225: Hallelujah

I am sitting alone at a Starbucks in Vancouver, Washington. A most moving rendition of Hallelujah, sung by Pentatonix is flowing through the speakers, and into my heart.

I can't remember ever feeling so content. Soon I will walk out into the snow and catch a bus to my daughter's house where she, her husband and Baby Gracie are getting ready for dinner.

Our traditional Christmas Eve pho was cancelled. So was the candlelight service at their church.

Snow on Christmas Eve! So lovely. And so wonderful that I have been given this gift of solitude. No place I need to be, but family who I love and who loves me, always welcoming each other.

Salmon encrusted with herbs at McGraths Fish House We started a new tradition yesterday after my homeless concert. Girl lunch at McGraths Fish House with my daughter, Baby Gracie, my mother and I. We had a wonderful time. It's my mother's favorite lunch spot in Vancouver. I followed her lead and ordered the salmon encrusted with herbs. It d…