Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 224: The Little Drummer Boy or Third Time's a Charm!

Today was my third and final homeless holiday meal performance. And it was the best yet!

A jolly good time was had by all!

But my morning started out with a rude awakening. Or perhaps I should say a late awakening.

Call time for our concert was 10:00 a.m. I had set my alarm for 6:30 a.m. I had planned on hooping, practicing piano, praying and grabbing a cup of coffee at Starbucks before our concert.

But I slept like a log last night. I don't remember any coughing. I woke with a start and grabbed my cell phone. It was 8:33. My heart began to race. The bus did not come down my street on the weekend. So I had to walk 3/4 mile to the next bus stop. I usually allowed an hour and a half to any destination to allow for the bus schedule. If I didn't hurry, I would be late. I jumped out of bed and got ready in record speed.

Then I calmed myself. I took a deep breath. Call time was 10:00, but we weren't scheduled to play until 11:00. I could call one of the other musicians and tell them I was running late. I decided I would still do a quick hoop workout and then get ready.

Amazingly, I caught both buses with only seconds to spare.

I made it to the church at 9:57 a.m. I was the earliest of the musicians!

I remembered one of my spiritual promises that I had written yesterday: To be my unique self while being kind to others.

I walked into the church smiling. I located the lady who was in charge of the volunteers. She remembered me from last year. I got a cup of hot tea and organized my music. I chatted with several of the volunteers before the rest of the group came.




It was a fabulous experience! I felt like my positive attitude helped elevate the experience for everyone.  We spent the next 45 minutes running through the music and putting it in order.

The church doors opened, and we started to play. After each piece, we received enthusiastic applause. I smiled and waved, thanking our audience.

We had some humorous moments that led to a relaxed, happy performance. I told the group I would happily play any piece except for Silver Bells. It became the joke.

"What's next on the program, Zita? Perhaps Silver Bells?"

I would shake my head and pretend to gag. Everyone would crack up.

There was so much joy amongst us. And it spread to our audience.

The others were worried we didn't have enough music to fill the hour. The flute player turned to me and asked if I had brought any Scott Joplin rags.
(She was at the last concert. Where I felt like such an inferior musician.)

I told her I did.

After I played ("Weeping Willow"), I got whoops, hoppers and thunderous applause from the crowd. A sweet older gentlemen at the table closest to me said, "Now THAT'S how Joplin should be played!"

"Scott Joplin is my man!" I shouted back, pinching my right fist in the air.

The other musicians laughed.

"Who am I?", I thought. This is not my usual shy, self conscious self.

One of the other musicians asked if I had brought more Scott Joplin rags. "They really liked it!", she said. I was thrilled. I told her I had more.

I did play well. I practiced my focussed breathing, to keep myself on the musical moment. I felt included, accepted and liked.

I want to remember this performance. I do believe I will. The major difference between this performance and the last two was me. My positive attitude.

I headed out to catch the bus afterwards feeling like I was floating. I checked the bus schedule and then sat on the bench with a happy sigh. I had ten minutes to reflect until the bus arrived.

How nice to feel successful! I opened up Facebook and discovered the following post by "Begin With Yes", the name of a positive thinking book. I follow the author's page. He inspires me daily.

"Other people may try to manage you by suggesting you should meet their expectations about who you should be.  It’s just not true. The best way to be a loving and kind person with healthy relationships is to stay focused on what you’re about, what you want to have happen, and what’s important to you. It’s not selfish; it’s authentic. And isn't “authentic” what you want to share with partners, lovers, and friends?"❤ (Begin with Yes.)

I was amazed at how this reflected what I had just been through with these last three performances.

I put my phone away. An older gentlemen approached me. He said, "You were that fabulous pianist at the luncheon!"

"That was me", I smiled. "And thank you for calling me fabulous", I said.

We chatted on the bus all the way to the Hollywood Transit Center.

He was from Queens, NY.

I felt such a wonderful connection with him. At the lunch, he had asked if we took requests. "What would you like to hear?", I asked.

"Little Drummer Boy! It's my favorite", he grinned.

I then realized he had been at the lunch last year and asked us to play the same song. We didn't have the music with us, but I played a bit for him by ear. I promised him I would find an arrangement for next year.

As the bus pulled into the transit center, he held out his hand. I grasped it in both of my hands and wished him a Merry Christmas.

I told him I would see him next year. "With the Little Drummer Boy!", I smiled.

He smiled and asked me my name. I said"Zita, and yours?"

"My name is 'J'. You are a remarkable lady. God bkess you", he let go of my hand and we went out separate ways.

And you know what? God did bless me today!

And I must remember another one of my spiritual promises: To pray to God instead of worry.

And now I need to add another spiritual promise: To thank Him.


Talk to you tomorrow.

Love,

Zita



P.S. Here is today's hoop video. I am so glad I did not leave my hooping out!

P.P.S. It is 11:40 p.m. I am at my daughter and son-in-law's house. Gracie finally fell asleep. My turned on the radio softly. As I finish this post, "The Little Drummer Boy" just came on.

I have goosebumps.

Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i