Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 231: The Eagle Who Thought He Was a Chicken


I was tired today. I felt the blues breathing down the back of my neck. But I did not give in. I was expecting him to come calling. 

I attribute it to my unfortunate food indulgences over the last 2 weeks. I have eaten gluten, dairy and sugar.  But I am back on track today. I had a nice breakfast with my mother this morning. Scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, tomato slices, orange juice and black tea.

For lunch, more tea and a huge salad.

For dinner, cajun shrimp, rice and veggies.

I had a few students today. It was a light day, as many are still on winter break. Good thing, because about half way through the day, I wanted to just lay down on the floor and pass out. I was that tired.

But one of  my family members in crisis called just about that time. So instead of laying on the floor in the church sanctuary where I teach on Saturdays, I got on my knees and prayed.  After work, I headed to the gym. I sat in the sauna. Then took a nice hot shower.  My family member in crisis and girlfriend called and asked if I would meet them at the mall.  I agreed. I got there early and sat in the food court with my dinner.  I decided to use the time to read from my Joyce Meyer book (The Mind Connection: How the Thoughts You Choose Affect Your Mood, Behavior and Decisions). I am in the last few chapters. Still underlining furiously.  

I am so thankful I had this book, my bible and notebook with me.  I often feel like a bag lady, traveling around with my bag of books and backpack full of gym clothes, snacks and toiletries. But one never knows what one might need when one is a commuter!

I ate up the words in the book today faster than I could swallow my Cajun shrimp.

I had just read the story about the "Eagle Who Thought He Was A Chicken" (http://www.biblewaymag.com/the-eagle-who-thought-he-was-a-chicken/) when my family member in crisis and girlfriend appeared. They were holding hands and grinning.  

We had a lovely visit. They asked what I was reading and I showed them the cover. The girlfriend, is a sweet, intelligent young lady. She was very interested in the book. She arched and eyebrow at her boyfriend.  He smiled.

I think my prayers helped.  I asked him if he'd like to hear the story about "The Eagle Who Thought He Was A Chicken".  He said he would, after he got his dinner.

So they sat out to check out their options from the food court. And when they got back, I read the story aloud. There in the food court of a crowded mall.

And we were all ok with it. We even had a bit of a discussion about it's meaning to each of us afterward. I was so happy, I wanted to jump and down. But I controlled myself.  

I exhaled deeply as we hugged and parted.  My depression has departed.  I was able to help my family member.  And now I am going to get a good night's sleep.

I leave you with a video of me dancing with Baby Gracie last night.  It appears that she expects me to dance with her at bedtime.  We danced to a whole Elton John CD, before she fell asleep in my arms. She slept from 10:30 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. No fussing whatsoever.

Prayer, music, dancing, laughter, story telling...  I think I know what I am putting on my New Year's Additions this year!

Talk to you tomorrow!
Love,

Zita








P.S. Here is today's hooping video.  Day 193!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i