Skip to main content

Year Three, Day 231: The Eagle Who Thought He Was a Chicken

I was tired today. I felt the blues breathing down the back of my neck. But I did not give in. I was expecting him to come calling. 

I attribute it to my unfortunate food indulgences over the last 2 weeks. I have eaten gluten, dairy and sugar.  But I am back on track today. I had a nice breakfast with my mother this morning. Scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, tomato slices, orange juice and black tea.

For lunch, more tea and a huge salad.

For dinner, cajun shrimp, rice and veggies.

I had a few students today. It was a light day, as many are still on winter break. Good thing, because about half way through the day, I wanted to just lay down on the floor and pass out. I was that tired.

But one of  my family members in crisis called just about that time. So instead of laying on the floor in the church sanctuary where I teach on Saturdays, I got on my knees and prayed.  After work, I headed to the gym. I sat in the sauna. Then took a nice hot shower.  My family member in crisis and girlfriend called and asked if I would meet them at the mall.  I agreed. I got there early and sat in the food court with my dinner.  I decided to use the time to read from my Joyce Meyer book (The Mind Connection: How the Thoughts You Choose Affect Your Mood, Behavior and Decisions). I am in the last few chapters. Still underlining furiously.  

I am so thankful I had this book, my bible and notebook with me.  I often feel like a bag lady, traveling around with my bag of books and backpack full of gym clothes, snacks and toiletries. But one never knows what one might need when one is a commuter!

I ate up the words in the book today faster than I could swallow my Cajun shrimp.

I had just read the story about the "Eagle Who Thought He Was A Chicken" ( when my family member in crisis and girlfriend appeared. They were holding hands and grinning.  

We had a lovely visit. They asked what I was reading and I showed them the cover. The girlfriend, is a sweet, intelligent young lady. She was very interested in the book. She arched and eyebrow at her boyfriend.  He smiled.

I think my prayers helped.  I asked him if he'd like to hear the story about "The Eagle Who Thought He Was A Chicken".  He said he would, after he got his dinner.

So they sat out to check out their options from the food court. And when they got back, I read the story aloud. There in the food court of a crowded mall.

And we were all ok with it. We even had a bit of a discussion about it's meaning to each of us afterward. I was so happy, I wanted to jump and down. But I controlled myself.  

I exhaled deeply as we hugged and parted.  My depression has departed.  I was able to help my family member.  And now I am going to get a good night's sleep.

I leave you with a video of me dancing with Baby Gracie last night.  It appears that she expects me to dance with her at bedtime.  We danced to a whole Elton John CD, before she fell asleep in my arms. She slept from 10:30 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. No fussing whatsoever.

Prayer, music, dancing, laughter, story telling...  I think I know what I am putting on my New Year's Additions this year!

Talk to you tomorrow!


P.S. Here is today's hooping video.  Day 193!


Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 236: Memories of Food

Well, I ALMOST got on the treadmill today!

I planned on it. I actually had a very productive morning. I woke up super early, but it was cold and I knew I would be exhausted if I actually got vertical at 4:47 a.m. So I stayed in bed and checked emails, and played a few games of Words with Friends.

I drifted off again, and finally got out of bed at 9:30.  I did my prayer, journaling, bible study and reading from my Joyce Meyer Book. (The Mind Connection). I have only one more chapter to read and I am finished with the book! At which point, I plan on going back to the beginning and rereading the whole thing. It is that good!

I did my morning hoop. It was a crisp, cold morning, but no wind. I had a good workout. Then I practiced a bit of piano and did some piano lesson planning for my students.

I had planned on grabbing a quick lunch and then hopping on the Max to the gym where I would hop on the treadmill, hop in the jacuzzi and then grab a quick shower before my students.

The bus that g…

Year Three, Day 261: The Belligerent Man, The Bus Driver, and the Woman in a Poncho

I just had a most entertaining bus ride!

I had just gotten of the Max at the Hollywood Transit Center. I was coming down the steps, when I saw the #75 to Milwaukie entering the parking lot. That was my transfer bus!  I didn't want to miss it, because at this time of day, it might be a 20 minute wait until the next one.

I had just come from a lovely sushi lunch with  my daughter and Baby Gracie at Cascades Station.

The plan was for me to teach my piano students and then return to Vancouver tonight. My daughter has much work to do at home and we all know that working at home with a 5 month old baby is a bit of an oxymoron!

Anyway, I hurried down the stairs, being very mindful. The steps were slippery in the Portland drizzle. Slipping and falling would kind of put a cramp in my day.

I slowed down when I noticed there was a long line of passengers waiting to board. At the end of the line was an older, distinguished looking gentleman.  He was wearing a long overcoat and hat.  He nodded…

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…