Skip to main content

Day 329: Soul Restoration



Mass rejuvenated me
I really really REALLY needed Mass yesterday. For so many reasons. But mostly, I was feeling a tug on my soul, as odd as that may sound.

I had a sleepless night the night before. I was tired, but feeling very peaceful and kind all day. I was also feeling incredibly present with all of my students.

I slept like a baby last night. I feel most rested, calm and centered.

I found an old journal a few days ago. It was dated 2012. A "Health Journal". I had written my starting weight and goal weight. And a plan. I can't tell you how many lose weight plans I have started over the years. Pretty much say the same thing each time. But I am pleased this time around because I actually have lost weight and kept it off since then! My starting weight then was 211 pounds. I am now stuck at 188. But this is progress!

 I recall finding journals, notebooks, scribbled with weight loss goals over the years. But usually I am heavier as I read about my old weight. I am now lighter and determined to crack the code of my eating disorder!

I am convinced that part of the formula for health is exercise. A lot of vigorous,sweat producing exercise.

But it is a vicious cycle. I am overweight, so it takes more effort to move all this weight, and I am often quite sore. I believe this is why I hold back. This and good old fear. Fear and I go way back.

But as I age, the fear is subsiding. And so is self-consciousness.

My psalm of the day is psalm 23. A very comforting psalm. I am sure it has been prayed by many in times of stress , grief and fear. It is the best known of all the psalms. I have always considered this to be a funeral psalm, but in rereading it, I agree Jerome Creach:

"Psalm 23 is more about how a person lives in relationship to God than how one faces death or finds security beyond the gravehttps://www.workingpreacher.org/preaching.aspx?commentary_id=1183

Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

I am relaxing today. Watching Doc Martin. Eating a quite healthy dinner: cauliflower ravioli, baked jalapeno popper, raw, marinated mushrooms stuffed with homemade pesto, and Greek lemon chicken soup(one of the freezer prepared meals my daughter and I prepped). 

Jalapeno popper and pesto stuffed mushrooms
Cauliflower Tabbouli



I do believe my soul has been restored.

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i