Skip to main content

Day 334: "Sie Soll Leben"

Beautiful day.

I had the privilege of being invited to play the piano for a music club group that meets at a lovely retirement condominium on the waterfront downtown this morning.

I decided to play two rather short, slow, contemplative pieces that I could play without much work and that moved my soul.  They were "Nocturne in c sharp minor (opus posthumous) by Chopin and "Bethena" by Scott Joplin.

Last night after teaching all day, I did not have much energy left to practice for this mornings performance. But the people in the club do enjoy hearing a bit of talk beforehand about the composers and music being played, so I did some research on the internet and got chills.

This is what I said before I played today:

" Music is not just entertainment. Sometimes it can save a life. Sometimes it can bring beauty out of a period of grief and mourning.  The two pieces I am playing today were composed by two different people, over a century apart.

The first one, "Nocturne in c sharp minor" was composed by Frederic Chopin in 1830. He dedicated it to his sister. But it was not published until after his death.  But it saved the life of a young woman during the Holocaust. In a concentration camp in Poland. 

Her name was Natalia Karp.  She had been taken to a concentration camp with her sister, Helena. They suffered and expected to die in the camp. When she was 32 years old, she was summoned to play for the Commandant Aman Goeth's birthday. She played the Nocturne I am about to play with such feeling from her soul and her fingers stiffened from life in the camp, that Commandant Goeth said, "Sie soll leben" (She shall live!)

Apparently Natalia was bold enough to say only if her sister Helena, too would live.

The next piece is by Scott Joplin. He struggled in life for many reasons. Being black in the South. Being poor.  Also his second wife, Freddie, whom he loved dearly, died 10 weeks after their wedding of pneumonia.

He did not publish any music for a year after her death. The first one he published was "Bethena" which I will play for you. I did not know the background of this piece until last night. Scott Joplin has been beloved by me since I was a young teenager. The only "nonclassical" music my very strict father would allow me to play in the 70's which was going through a "ragtime revival" because of the movie the Sting.  I always honored Scott Joplin's instructions: "Do not play fast. Ragtime is not meant to be fast."

But this piece is very unique. It is actually a "ragtime waltz". It sounds more classical than his other works. And now that I know the state of his soul during the time he wrote it, the haunting melody makes sense to me."


Here is an account from the Telegraph.co.uk ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1557050/Natalia-Karp.html):
"Summoned the day she arrived, expecting to be shot, Natalia, then a beautiful 32-year-old, played Chopin's haunting and melancholic Nocturne in C sharp minor. When she had finished, Amon Goeth, the commandant, declared: Sie soll leben (She shall live).
"I was taken to his villa where there was a party with many guests eating, drinking and dressed in white jackets," she recalled. "After a while, Goeth turned to me and barked: 'Now. Sarah. Play now'." (The Nazis called all Jewish women "Sarah").
At the time she had not touched a piano since the oubreak of war, and her fingers were almost stiff.
When Goeth, who was chillingly depicted by Ralph Fiennes in the film Schindler's List (1993), told Natalia that she would live, the pianist stood her ground, insisting that her sister Helena should also be spared. She was subsequently ordered to play for Goeth and other senior Nazis on several occasions.
But her ordeal was not over. After 10 months she was sent to Auschwitz, where she fully expected to die.
"My sister and I clung to each other. We scavenged for any food we could find. Every day we thought could be our last."
Her identity number - A27407 - was branded on to her forearm, and never disappeared. Many years later it was spotted by a guest at a reception in London who tactlessly asked: "What have you put here - your telephone number?"
Natalia was released from imprisonment the day after VE Day, and returned to Krakow with her sister, a ballerina.
When she gave her first post-war performance of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No 1, with its triumphant opening chords, she recalled thinking: "I wanted to show the Nazis that I was not beaten."

 Today was a bit of a revelation for me.  I have been playing the piano for over 50 years. Sight reading comes easily to me. So I can be rather shallow. I do feel music on a deep level, but I think it is also important to honor the people who created this music and played it before. It gives it deeper meaning and keeps their memories alive.

Natalia Karp died in 2007. She was 96 years old. The last of the Holocaust victims are leaving our planet. Hopefully they will rest peacefully in eternity. But I hope by stories like these, we can keep their memories alive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i