Skip to main content

Day 346: What Kind of Tree is This?




I am laying in bed with the window open, feeling the cool breeze and listening to the birds sing their morning song. I am also periodically bellowing my son's name. He asked me to help him wake up this morning. We all watched "The Voice" last night. It's our family television show of choice.

My son just bellowed back, "Those birds are annoying!" Lol.

 I  don't know, maybe it is just me, but I think an alarm clock going off every ten minutes, followed by the thunk of the snooze button is slightly more annoying than the bird choir we have assembled  outside in our big tree. I really should figure out what kind of tree it is. The birds in our neighborhood love it. It is in full bloom right now with tiny white flowers.

I am playing the piano this morning at a music club meeting. A Bach concerto for two violins and piano,  Vivaldi concerto for two violins and piano and two piano solos- the Chopin nocturne I played last week at another music club as well as "Bethena" by Scott Joplin.

I am thinking about oatmeal for breakfast. And another big fat Greek salad for lunch.

It's going to be hot again today. Tomorrow will cool off a bit. Thank goodness. I am heading down to Salem tomorrow. Not fond of traveling in temps above 80 degrees.

I may not have time to make it to the gym today. Rather sad about that. But I have a busy day. I teach later and then have choir practice tonight. So as soon as I can get vertical, I will do some pushups, crunches, and yoga stretches. Plus I'll do some brisk walking in between students.

Well, my son finally got up and left for work.

Suddenly all is still. No birds singing. Perhaps they assembled just to wake up my son?

I'd better get moving. Happy Tuesday!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...