Skip to main content

Day 333: My Theme Psalm

I had a very good eating day yesterday.  Up until late evening, when I had a friendly debate with my daughter and her husband about which bible translation is the most accurate. It was all good. For about five minutes.

Then I started feeling defensive. 

Then I mindlessly ate about 2 ounces of peanut brittle. Which was about 230 calories.  

The sugar, the buttery flavor, the satisfying crunch!  

It did comfort me in the moment, but I regretted it later.

However, I am observing and learning.  I do know that eating has always been a comfort for me.  It is one of our most basic needs, after all. And even if we see food as merely fuel, God did give us taste buds for a reason!  Perhaps it was only for us to discern if food was safe to eat, but I believe in a loving God.  Food can taste good and give us pleasure.

But in my journey of improved health of body, mind and spirit, I am discovering that moderation is the key.  Did not our grandmothers all say this?

I am sure God did not create food for us to worship.  Anything can be an idol if it separates us from God.  And if it brings us pain.

Too much food, obsession with food, fear of food, anger at food.  I have experienced all of this.  This is so irrational.

And it is time to get off this merry-go-round of insanity.

I have enough information in my brain to eat healthy.  I trust myself to not backslide and begin binging on potato chips and Cheese-Its.

I have so many cookbooks and diet books.  I do notice I feel better on a gluten free whole food diet.  Lots of water. Tons fresh vegetables. Some fruit.  Lean protein.  I need to limit restaurant eating. And stay away from junk food and fast food.  Limit sugar.

I downloaded a book on my Kindle last year that really opened my eyes. But I was not sure I was ready for it.  It is called The EdenDiet by Rita Hancock, MD.

What stood out for me in this book is that Dr. Hancock suggests eating whatever we want, but only when we are TRULY HUNGRY.  When I first read this, I was fascinated, but terrified. I am ALWAYS HUNGRY!  But she elaborates and brings in faith in God.  

I think I am ready to re-read this with stronger faith.

Here is a blurb about the book.   I think I will reread this book.  But with a discerning mind. 

(Note: I still skip the buns on cheeseburgers. I do not like gluten free buns. I just eat my burgers naked!  I have tried some gluten free pizza, which is ok. I am learning to trust myself and not just blindly give myself over to a theory about anything!)

The Eden Diet Christian weight loss program was created by Dr. Rita Hancock, a medical doctor with ivy league training in nutrition and the psychology of obesity as well as personal experience overcoming childhood-onset morbid obesity (and keeping the weight off for over 25 years). 

The plan is about rejecting the diet mentality and re-learning how to eat the way God originally intended: with joy rather than guilt. You get to eat not only the healthy food that your body craves for nourishment, but also delicious treats such as cheeseburgers, pizza, and rich, delicious desserts. The key is to eat your treats in smaller portions than the world would have you believe is normal and only when you're physically rather than emotionally hungry. When you're emotionally hungry, Dr. Rita gives you specific tools for how to employ your faith to find willpower against unnecessary eating.

For more information about The Eden Diet Christian Weight Loss Program, visit www.TheEdenDiet.com. 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Eden-Diet-Rita-Hancock-ebook/dp/B007RH1SYQ



I find that daily exercise keeps my priorities straight. And as always, I am wanting to raise the bar, so to speak. The World Health Organization recommendations are:
  • Adults aged 18–64 should do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity throughout the week or do at least 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity throughout the week or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity.
  • Aerobic activity should be performed in bouts of at least 10 minutes duration.
  • For additional health benefits, adults should increase their moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity to 300 minutes per week, or engage in 150 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity per week, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity.
  • Muscle-strengthening activities should be done involving major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week.(http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/factsheet_adults/en/)
I am ready to move from moderate to vigorous! 

By always focusing on the foods I cannot eat, and the weight I have not lost, I feel like a victim. Like I am being deprived.

I want to feel like a winner. But in order to do this, I need to think like a 
winner. And act like a winner!

I am hereby changing my mental status from deprived to empowered! 

Wow, that was a great pep talk!

I just looked up my psalm of the day and got goosebumps. 

See for yourself.

Psalm 27

The Lord is my light and my salvation
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked advance against me
    to devour[a] me,
it is my enemies and my foes
    who will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me,
    my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
    even then I will be confident.
One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
    he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
    and set me high upon a rock.
Then my head will be exalted
    above the enemies who surround me;
at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy;
    I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hear my voice when I call, Lord;
    be merciful to me and answer me.
My heart says of you, “Seek his face!
    Your face, Lord, I will seek.
Do not hide your face from me,
    do not turn your servant away in anger;
    you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
    God my Savior.
10 
Though my father and mother forsake me,
    the Lord will receive me.
11 
Teach me your way, Lord;
    lead me in a straight path
    because of my oppressors.
12 
Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
    for false witnesses rise up against me,
    spouting malicious accusations.
13 
I remain confident of this:
    I will see the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living.
14 
Wait for the Lord;
    be strong and take heart
    and wait for the Lord.

I cannot improve upon these words.  This needs to be my theme psalm.

Now, off to the gym. 

To conquer!

Happy Thursday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i