Skip to main content

Day 356: Running in Portland and a Racey Hat Story

I woke up to the sound of spring rain.  I opened the sliding door to let Honey Dog out. She just glared at me. Honey Dog does not do rain. But I do. I love the smell, the sound, how green it makes everything.  I feel a bit lazy today.  Like staying at home in my pajamas lazy.

I put in one of our prepared, frozen crockpot meals. On the menu today: Chicken fajitas. All I did was plopped the frozen meal in the crockpot, set it for 6 hours on low, squeezed a lime on top and then secured the lid. Dinner is done! And already the aroma wafting through the house is making my tummy growl!

I do not think I have time to get to the gym before I go teach. It is raining outside, but the temperature is mild. I think I might try a trail walk and some stretching.

 Nearly a year ago, when I first began writing this blog, I talked about running. This is a quote from my first post on Tuesday, May 12, 2015:

The Time is Now!

"...the bottom line is that I need to take drastic measures if I want to regain my health and fitness.  Not that it is ever too late, but my life minutes are ticking by. And I could be enjoying a much higher quality of life.

I ache. I am uncomfortable.  I don't like my appearance.

I used to be fit.  Of course that was many moons ago.  I ran 2 miles a day when I was a teenager. Then I started weight training in college.  I danced in the discothèque but then life happened.  Stress. Bills. Kids. Divorce. Food became my best friend.  

Well, FOOD, we need to talk!  This relationship is not serving me anymore!  I will no longer serve my cravings and tummy, it will serve me. By adding vitality and moderation to my life!

And I am going to add some pain. Yes pain.  Take it up a notch.  Work out harder and smarter. 

And I am starting to run again.  My goal is to run the Portland Marathon. But I will be setting smaller, more attainable goals along the way.

My name is Zita and I welcome you along with me on this journey!


I have come a long way since then. But I have a long way to go. Not that life is a destination.  We know where it leads. But I am a woman of faith. I hope to get my reward after this mortal life.

While we are here, though. I would like to continue to improve my quality of life. And in so doing, I hope to help others. 

As I look forward to my second year on this journey,  I am starting think about runs in Portland. Oh my goodness. I just did a wee bit of research. Portland is a running city for sure. Check out this link.  A run nearly every day for the upcoming spring and summer months.  http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/ListByCityRadius.aspx?City=Portland&State=OR

I am not sure if I am ready for a big event. Physically, financially and emotionally. 

I think I will spend the next year continuing on the same path, but raising the bar a bit.  More exercise.  Harder workouts.  If I feel confident that I would survive a long, competitive walk, then I will sign up!  I do still want to work towards more running.  My walks are faster and stronger.  

The competitive runs are a bit spendy, especially since I am wavering and not certain I will actually be brave enough to participate once I register.

This is about where I was last year in my thinking when I discovered the $5 5K runs through Portland Parks and Recreation.  They take place in beautiful Portland parks and are only $5 to register!




My chamber group has another concert tomorrow. The last one of the season. We will break for summer. Good timing. I can really focus on my exercise then!  

But now, for my racey hat story....
 







My new friend, Ellis! He gave me permission to post his picture. :)

Tuesday, after blogging at the St. Johns Library, following our chamber music concert at St. Johns Christian Church, I took off exploring the quaint little community known as St. Johns. I really felt at home. A lot of people walking about. Funky old storefronts. Plenty of restuarants and of course, the obligatory Starbucks!

I settled on salmon teriyaki for lunch.  Then I went across the street to wait for my bus.

A man walked by with a funny hat.  I did not want to stare, but it did bring back memories of my emoji sticker faux pas.  I had ordered some emoji stickers for my piano students.  You know, the different faces and icons people use whilst texting. But I did not preview them before offering them to my students. Luckily, one of my older students noticed how inappropriate they were! I removed the gun emoji, the cigarette emoji, the beer emoji and the martini emoji.
 But I did not realize the sticker I thought was smiling chocolate ice cream, was in fact a poop emoji! Luckily my niece discovered that one. She begged me to let her keep it. My brother was ok with it.  She still teases me. "Aunt Zita, remember the poop sticker?"

Well, the man with the hat today was in fact wearing a poop hat.  I nodded at him and smiled. "Poop hat?"

"Yes", he grinned back.

Apparently he was out doing some pre parade PR.  The St. Johns Parade is coming up May 14th. He is a vendor.  His name is Ellis. He told me to tell my readers that you can find his stand near the Home Plate Restaurant on Lombard in St. Johns.




St. Johns is a part of Portland, Oregon.  Need I say more?

Happy Friday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i