Skip to main content

Day 353: The Voice

I am blogging from the Multnomah County Library in St. John's today. I was so thrilled to come out of the concert, walk around the corner and find a library. A library! One of my absolute favorite places to be. Ever!

St. John's Library (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:St._Johns_Library_in_Portland.jpg)


Our chamber music group gave a little noon concert at St. John's Christian Church as part of the St. John's Tuesday Noon Music program. (www.saintjohnsmusic.com).

We had a small, but very appreciate audience. I was especially impressed by a baby boy. He was maybe 11 months old, but one of the most enthusiastic audience members I have ever seen. Especially on my piano solos, when I would play the high notes, or loud, booming chords, I would hear him singing along with me with gusto! I think a musician was born today!

St. John's is lovely. I had not been her for many years. The community is thriving. Many cute little restaurants and lovely old Portland style homes.  The bus driver recommended a little Mexican restuarant up the street. I think I will head there for lunch.

I did not get a workout in today. I was actually a little stressed out about the fact that I will not get to the gym today.  I have students and then a choir rehearsal tonight. I was also a little stressed out about the fact that I had not much time to practice for today's performance.  I was so involved with my student recital Sunday.

This morning, I decided not to skip my morning prayer and bible study. I am so glad I had the wisdom!

In the book I am reading by Beth Moore,  Breaking Free (I am beginning Chapter 40 "Tearing Down the High Places"), I read this morning:

"Not all captivating thoughts come from painful experiences. Our thoughts can be held captive to someone or something that builds up our egos or satisfies our fleshly appetites. Simply put, captivating thoughts are controlling thoughts - things you find yourself meditating on too often."


This hit me like a brick.  I have been noticing my thoughts lately.  Anxious thoughts. Whining and complaining thoughts. Negative, self-deprecating thoughts. 
I noticed them on the bus this morning heading to the concert. I was berating myself for not being more prepared. Then I thought about my reading this morning. And I asked God to forgive me.  I felt a rush of air from my lungs. I felt relief and peace.  
Then I stopped my negative thoughts in their track. And started "thinking" the music I was playing today.  I am getting better at practicing in my head. And it sure beats the sound of my negative, judgmental voice.  

After I have finished posting my blog, I am going to take a walk in St. Johns. Perhaps find the Mexican restaurant. But more importantly get some exercise for today. That ought to shut up "the voice!"

Happy Tuesday!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...