Skip to main content

Day 352: This Thing called Life

 Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today
To get through this thing called life
"Let's Go Crazy", Prince


I will admit it: I am still sad about the passing of Prince. The media is still going crazy.  The more I learn about him, the more it affects me.  He was just a few years older then me, but he accomplished ten times more in his lifetime. And it appears that he really embraced life!

I heard on a news program that he had composed at least one song a day and kept oodles of unpublished manuscripts in a locked safe.  He was only five foot two, but apparently quite the basketball player.

Geez, what are my excuses?  What will I leave behind?  No, we are not all superstars, or musical "geniuses".  But I am a musician. Pretty decent. Above average at sight reading.  But I have merely dabbled in composition.

I like to write, but I just blog away. Why not publish a book?

I keep talking about that marathon I am going to run...sometime in the future when I lose weight so as not to damage my knees.

Why is it so many of us struggle just to survive while some thrive and soar above? And then leave amazing legacies?

Many musicians struggled during their lifetimes and then their music was discovered postmortem.  But Prince seemed to have it all!

Was he really living the dream?  I suppose there will books about his life, especially since he left us so soon.

I am feeling a bit down today.  Tired.  Performances and giving student recitals give me a high at the time, but then there is the inevitable crash.

My student recital last night was the best ever. I say that every time. But seriously. This was the best. Ever!

Here is what I posted on my Facebook last night when I got home:

Just got home from my spring piano student recital. Over 50 students played. All with FEELING! I cannot describe how I felt sitting there listening to beautiful music come from the fingers of all these people. My studnets. Ages 6 to 72. It was like they were communicating musically from their souls. I had goosebumps. This is why i teach. In case I ever get weary, I will come back to this post.
Even better, after the recital I had bags and bags of leftover treats. Many of my students know I am gluten free, bless their hearts! smile emoticon And now my adult children are too. I was bringing some home treats to share. But I also had a huge platter of non gluten free cookies. It was hard to carry it all. I had even left some for the staff at the music center. I hate to waste....
When I got on the bus, I noticed a man in the front who looked very tired. His clothes were torn and dirty. The bus was quite full, so I did not want to assume he was homeless or hungry.
So, I just sat down and bellowed, "Anyone want some cookies....?" I was going to explain that I was a piano teacher and they were leftovers from a recital, but I did not get that far. The tired man in front instantly sat up and put out both hands.
"Me! Oh, thank you. I am so hungry!"
I tried to tell him that eating was not allowed on the bus (I learned that the embarrassing way a while back), but he had torn off the lid and had a cookie in each hand, munching away. A look of extreme bliss on his face. He gave me a crooked grin.
Next thing I knew he was offering cookies to people all around him.
An elderly man came up to me and said, "That was a very kind thing you just did. Most people will not even look them in the eye."
If i died right now, I would be complete. And happy. I am so filled with love. For my students, for music, for this life God has given me. And for seeing humanity on a city bus.

I do love teaching, but it does sometimes make me weary.  How can I motivate others, when I often have trouble getting out of bed? But I keep putting one foot in front of the other.

And then recitals happen. And I am inspired all over again.  After my second recital of the evening last night, I told the crowd,

"It just occurred to me, sitting up here on stage with my students, that some of my best moments in life have been on this stage. I am so blessed to have your children as my students. Thank you."



Words cannot come even close to what I felt. The pride, the joy, the love...

I think God did put teaching in my path. It humbles me greatly at times. But in the end, I am so grateful to be instrumental in bringing the music out of these lovely souls.






I am blabbering now when I should go to the gym. But I had to write about this while it was still fresh in my mind.

Happy Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i