Skip to main content

Day 339: Joy Cometh in the Morning!

My focus today is portion control. I mentioned in a recent post that I am rereading The Eden Diet by Rita Hancock, MD.  I feel like I am starting to trust myself to make wise decisions about my health, particularly my eating.  I have said no to more donuts, cookies, cakes and hamburger buns in the last few months than probably anyone cares to hear about!

Here is a little blurb about the book:

"Dr. Rita’s approach is based on her Ivy League training in nutrition, physiology, and obesity psychology, but is reframed in her strongly Christian convictions about how to live the way God intended—physically healthy and free of the cultural obsession with food, eating, dieting, and thinness." 
http://www.amazon.com/The-Eden-Diet-Treats-Weight/dp/031032808X/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

My psalm of the day, Psalm 30 contains one of my favorite passages in all of scripture. And it has helped me endure many a dark night: "...weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." (Psalm 30:5)

I have laid in bed many a night with cravings. Not hunger.  I could live months off of my belly fat. But cravings.  For salty, buttery, crunchy popcorn. For chocolate brownies. Ice cream.  But I know that I do not NEED this food. I crave it for emotional comfort. And honestly for good old gluttonous pleasure.

Good timing, this psalm!

Psalm 30

King James Version (KJV)

30 I will extol thee, O Lord; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.
2 O Lord my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.
3 O Lord, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.
4 Sing unto the Lord, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.
5 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
6 And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be moved.
7 Lord, by thy favour thou hast made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled.
8 I cried to thee, O Lord; and unto the Lord I made supplication.
9 What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise thee? shall it declare thy truth?
10 Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me: Lord, be thou my helper.
11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;
12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. OLord my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

I had a successful day yesterday. I stuck with my new daily routine. It makes sense to practice my piano early, because otherwise the day unfolds and I am running out the door with a massive pile of guilt on my shoulders. Today I have a morning rehearsal. Then back home for more practice. I am planning on a good sweaty gym workout followed by a sauna. I'd better start chugging the water!

 I will have my daughter's crockpot Turkey chili for lunch. Very tasty!

Happy Wednesday!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...