Skip to main content

Day 357: Springwater Trail Occupation







I went for a walk on the trail yesterday, after the rain let up. I had not been on the trail in nearly a month. I was curious to see if the tent dwellers were still there. I have seen a lot of stories in the media lately about the people living in tents along the trail, but I wondered if anything had changed. It had.

There were more tents. I counted twelve tents in a quarter mile stretch of the trail. All several feet off the trail, many using an existing fence as a supporting structure.

Many looked permanent, complete with little walking paths. One tent had a small fence with a gate! But it looked cleaner than last time. It was like a little village. I saw several people walking amongst the tents. Someone was barbecuing. Nobody was walking on the trail, but me. I did see a couple of people on bikes.

I felt a little vulnerable, but no one bothered me.

I am curious what will happen in the summer. Last summer the trail was hopping with cyclists, runners and hikers.  Will the presence of the tent dwellers reduce traffic on the trail? And what about the law?


Well apparently there has been a new law passed that does not allow law enforcement to embarrass individuals based on their homelessness.  See this article: http://bikeportland.org/2016/01/14/camps-along-springwater-path-have-reached-boiling-point-172514

We do have a serious homeless problem in Portland. But it is not going to get better if we look the other way when laws are being broken.  Here is an article about a home owner who had an encounter with one of the tent dwellers near the trail not far from where I walked today: http://portland.ml/se-portland-resident-feels-unsafe-after-confrontation-with-homeless-man/

I will continue to post on this subject. While I have compassion for people on both sides, this issue is hitting too close to home.

Now that I will have a bit more time on my hand, I am feeling the need to continue some of my former projects from this blog.  I was really enjoying my hymn of the day and psalm of the day. I was also working through the Classic FM Hall of Fame while I stretched in the morning.

I like to finish what I start!

I finished my Beth Moore book, Breaking Free on Thursday. It was leant to me by my daughter. Otherwise, almost every words would have been underlined. I so loved this book!  But I am going to hang on to it for a bit longer. There are study questions at the end I intend to answer.

Alas,I need to get vertical now if I want to make it to Saturday morning Mass.

Happy Saturday!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Three, Day 134: The Charmed Life of a Commuting Grandma

I just discovered that the Starbucks at Cascades Station stays open until 10:00 p.m. every night.

Just when I was wanting to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Being a commuting grandma really is not that difficult. Actually, my life pretty much rocks right now!

Today has been a very good day. And I had maybe 3 hours of solid sleep last night. The Burrito has decided she likes to sleep cuddled in the arms of her Great Grandma Blanche or Grandma Zita during the day. Or snuggled safe in her infant seat while her mom, grandma and great grandma go out to lunch, do laundry and go shopping.

I warned my daughter that the
Baby Burrito needed some awake time yesterday. Or else we would pay for it in the evening. But getting so much done with a snoozing baby in tow was so freeing. Especially since Baby Burrito's dad is elk hunting all weekend.

We finally roused her for a bath, diaper change and piano lesson early afternoon.

Baby Burrito had a fantastic first piano lesson. At…

Year Two, Day 288: I Found a Place!

This is truly amazing.

God is so good.

All the time!

I posted on Facebook my housing plight yesterday afternoon. And so many of my wonderful friends had helpful suggestions. Several offers for roommates came in.  But most of them so far from my work.

Then, I was heading home after teaching and just felt the need to sit and think.  Of course sitting and thinking go so much better with a cheeseburger on a rice cake, and what do you know...there I was getting off the bus in from of a McDonald's!

So I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, ditched the bun and plopped it down between two rice cakes (I always carry emergency rice cakes in my bags these days).

I opened up Facebook and found a message from the pastor at my church job. She and her family have a room in their basement that they have been wanting to rent. But they were hesitant to put up an ad. They preferred knowing the person.

And here I am!  This is a blessing in so many ways! I will help them by paying rent and being a p…

Year Three, Day 156: Thank God for COPD and 120 Days of Daily Hooping

10:00 a.m.

Today has been a very good day so far.

I am here at my daughter and son-in-law's church.


I have Baby Gracie duty. It is a pleasure! I had not seen her in four days. Such a difference those days made! I arrived at their trailer before church. I went straight to her crib and said,"Hi Gracie, your grandma is here!"

I scooped her up and noticed her looking intently up at my face. Like she was studying me. I continued talking to her and her face lit up with recognition!

My heart leapt for joy!

I danced with her around the living room, softly singing our theme song ("The Bunny Hop"). When I got to the "hop, hop, hop" part she would grin.




Earlier, I took the Max to Cascades Station. Had a cup of Earl Grey tea and a gluten free breakfast sandwich at Starbucks. It was such a beautiful morning. Clear, crisp and chilly. Sun shining brightly.

I love this time of year!  I did cough quite a bit last night. The Prednisone has taken the edge off, but does …