Skip to main content

Day 341: "In the Heart of the Sea"

We watched "In the Heart of the Sea" last night. It is based on the true story of the sinking of the ship "The Essex" by Moby Dick, the great, albino whale.

The author Herman Melville was inspired to write the novel Moby Dick after interviewing one of the survivors.

 The force of the ocean has always overwhelmed me. I am having a hard time finding words for my feelings. Primal. There's a word. Primal. Majestic is another.

It seems that countless others have felt the enigmatic pull of the ocean. Here is a lovely quote I found:

“The winds, the sea, and the moving tides are what they are. If there is wonder and beauty and majesty in them, science will discover these qualities... If there is poetry in my book about the sea, it is not because I deliberately put it there, but because no one could write truthfully about the sea and leave out the poetry.” 
― Rachel Carson

 I did not read Moby Dick in my youth. But last night I downloaded it on my Kindle.

I loved the movie. It was intense. And disturbing. But the cinematography at sea, especially scenes of the whales was exhilarating. I had not realized this is based on a true story.

I was not sure if the kids would follow it. There was a lot of dialog that was a bit hard to follow in the beginning, especially with the strong East coast, 19th century accents. But they stayed the coarse and asked some intelligent questions.

I do love when family time results in conversation, questions  and ed

Here is a quote I liked from the movie:

"Greed took hold of our captain and first mate. So we headed out. A thousand leagues along the equator. Where knowledge ended, speculation began. That's where the whales had gone to hide. As far from man as they could possibly go. But we hunted them down. Centuries before, sailors feared sailing off the edge of the Earth. But we where headed for the edge of sanity. Trust gave way to doubt. Hope to blind superstition"http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1390411/trivia?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu

Looking forward to finally reading the book.  Speaking of inspiring,  I am ready to move on to the next psalm. Psalm 31:


In you, O Lord, I take refuge.
Let me never be put to shame.
In your justice, set me free,
.3 hear me and speedily rescue me.

Be a rock of refuge for me,
a mighty stronghold to save me,
.4 for you are my rock, my stronghold.
For your name's sake, lead me and guide me.

.5 Release me from the snares they have hidden
for you are my refuge, Lord.
.6 Into your hands I commend my spirit.
It is you who will redeem me, Lord.

/.7 O God of truth, you detest
those who worship false and empty gods.
.8 As for me, I trust in the Lord:
let me be glad and rejoice in your love.

You who have seen my affliction
and taken heed of my soul's distress,
.9 have not handed me over to the enemy,
but set my feet at large.

* * *

.10 Have mercy on me, O Lord,
for I am in distress.
Tears have wasted my eyes,
my throat and my heart.

.11 For my life is spent with sorrow
and my years with sighs.
Affliction has broken down my strength
and my bones waste away.

.12 In the face of all my foes
I am a reproach,
an object of scorn to my neighbors
and of fear to my friends.

Those who see me in the street
run far away from me.
.13 I am like a dead man, forgotten,
like a thing thrown away.

.14 I have heard the slander of the crowd,
fear is all around me,
as they plot together against me,
as they plan to take my life.

.15 But as for me, I trust in you, Lord;
I say: "You are my God.
.16 My life is in your hands, deliver me
from the hands of those who hate me.

.17 Let your face shine on your servant.
Save me in your love.
.18 Let me not be put to shame for I call you,
let the wicked be shamed!

Let them be silenced in the grave,
.19 let lying lips be dumb,
that speak haughtily against the just
with pride and contempt."

* * *

.20 How great is the goodness, Lord,
that you keep for those who fear you,
that you show to those who trust you
in the sight of men.

.21 You hide them in the shelter of your presence
from the plotting of men;
you keep them safe within your tent
from disputing tongues.

.22 Blessed be the Lord who has shown me
the wonders of his love
in a fortified city.

.23 "I am far removed from your sight"
I said in my alarm.
Yet you heard the voice of my plea
when I cried for help.

.24 Love the Lord, all you saints.
He guards his faithful
but the Lord will repay to the full
those who act with pride.

.25 Be strong, let your heart take courage,
all who hope in the Lord.

This psalm begins as a lament. But then it ends with David praising God.

 I noticed verse 6 as one of the last words Jesus said before He died on the cross. It is I. Luke 23:46- "Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit”; and when he had said this he breathed his last".

The more I study the bible, the more connections I find. I feel as if little puzzle pieces are popping into place in my head.

But there is so much more to learn each day. It is no wonder I have to keep reassuring my schedule to make room for it all!

On that nite, I wish you a happy Friday!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i