Skip to main content

Day 331



Feeling serene after a workout and sauna session

I had an interesting development at the gym yesterday. I was short on time, but I was determined to get even a small workout in. So I speed walked to the Max and then speed walked to the gym. I figured I got my cardio in for the day. In fact, I walk at least a mile a day. Sometimes more. But I recalled the advice from my doctor about strength training. I also was thinking back to my early adult life, when I discovered weight lifitng. I have not been as achy lately. I attribute it to increased water intake, and calmer mental and emotional state.  I am still stretching too.  

So I just lifted weights. I went first to the lat pull down machine. I thought I set it for 50 pounds, but could only do three reps. Puzzled, and thinking perhaps I was more tired than I had thought, I went to lower the weights. But I was shocked to see I had set it at 80 pounds! It is an old machine, and the numbers had been rubbed off. So I set it to 60 pounds and easily did 12 reps! I also increased my weights for bench press to 60 and shoulder press to 50. Then I did 50 crunches and some yoga. 

That was all I had time for, aside from a nice smug sauna session. I stretched a bit more in the sauna, smiling about my workout!  

So now I am going to focus a bit more on strength training.  I feel more alert, and energetic. I will still continue the cardio, but I think I get stuck in a rut and move too slowly when I walk. Not quite ready for running...will I ever be? No worries, this 54 year-old is going to go into her senior years with strength!


I downloaded a book on my kindle about the Psalms. Fascinating! It is called David and the Psalms by Michael Ruszala.
http://www.amazon.com/David-Psalms-Michael-J-Ruszala-ebook/dp/B018TOPVQG/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1459831608&sr=1-1&keywords=David+and+the+psalms+ruszala

Fascinating book. It is filling in the gaps in my brain. And reaffirming my desire to study the psalms.

My psalm of the day is Psalm 25. It is an "acrostic" psalm. Each verse begins with the succeeding letter in the Hebrew alphabet. Some scholars say this way of writing is an aid to memorization. Kind of like  the mnemonics I used in school. This psalm is really speaking to my heart this morning. I had another sleepless, troubled night. I have many worries about my family. But for today, all is well. And I am very grateful. I wrote this psalm in my prayer journal.  Happy Tuesday!
Psalm 25


1 To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
2 I trust you, let me not be disappointed;
do not let my enemies triumph.
3 Those who hope in you shall not be disappointed,
but only those who wantonly break faith.


4 Lord, make me know your ways.

Lord, teach me your paths.
5 Make me walk in your truth, and teach me:
for you are God my savior.



In you I hope all day long

7c because of your goodness, O Lord.
6 Remember your mercy, Lord,
and the love you have shown from of old.
7 Do not remember the sins of my youth.
In your love remember me.



8 The Lord is good and upright.

He shows the path to those who stray,
9 He guides the humble in the right path,
He teaches his way to the poor.



10 His ways are faithfulness and love 

for those who keep his covenant and law.
11 Lord, for the sake of your name
forgive my guilt, for it is great.



12 If anyone fears the Lord

he will show him the path he should choose.
13 His soul shall live in happiness
and his children shall possess the land.
14 The Lord's friendship is for those who revere him;
to them he reveals his covenant.



15 My eyes are always on the Lord;

for he rescues my feet from the snare.
16 Turn to me and have mercy
for I am lonely and poor.



17 Relieve the anguish of my heart

and set me free from my distress.
18 See my affliction and my toil
and take all my sins away.



19 See how many are my foes;

how violent their hatred for me.
20 Preserve my life and rescue me.
Do not disappoint me, you are my refuge.
21 May innocence and uprightness protect me:
for my hope is in you, O Lord.



22 Redeem Israel, O God, from all its distress.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 328: Success at Last!! This is What I Do

Hello My Long Lost Friends! Or, perhaps it was I who was lost? And now I think I am beginning to find myself!  Under layers of fat, and self loathing!  How's that for an opening line!  Or perhaps the title of a novel:  Layers of Fat and Self-Loathing! Today I stepped on the scale.  I am weighing myself every morning these days. I was shocked! I told my partner the scale must be broken!  Yesterday I weight 186. Today 185! I have been on a strict intermittent fast for the past 10 weeks. I have officially lost 12 pounds!  And the best news is I think I not only can stick to this way of eating, I am actually beginning to really enjoy it!  And look how far I've come! I've been writing since May 12, 2015.  Over 8 years now!  I know this blog post says Year Four, Day 328, but there have been many pauses in blogging. For instance, when I am not pleased with progress or simply have no words! I was 53 when I first began blogging. I am now 61. I honestly feel better than I did 8 years

Year Four, Day 335: "Crisis Fatigue"

Hello Friends! I have missed you! I have been so utterly exhausted and downright depressed, that I couldn't summon enough energy to even lift my fingers to this computer keyboard to write.  Apparently there is a mental disorder for people going through crises.  Crises such as pandemics, systemic racism, political division, unemployment, police brutality, civil unrest.... It's called "crisis fatigue". When humans are presented with a threat, adrenaline is released to give us quick energy. This is called the "fight or flight syndrome". But when threats are overwhelming, and perceivably continuous, like this year, it overwhelms the system. People can feel numb, depressed, anxious and irritable. Yup. That's me.  I guess I'm quite normal after all! I found an interesting article that describes crisis fatigue, especially in relation to current events.  But it doesn't really address how to take care of ourselves during these unsettling times!

Year Four, Day 247: What Happened in Vegas...

  Expectations can be brutal. Especially when reality dashes them against the rocky shores of our souls. How's that for an opening line? I was so excited about my recent trip to Las Vegas.  I haven't travelled anywhere in so long. I do believe I have been bit by the travel bug.  I want the freedom to go places I have never been, see things I have never seen and experience life as a stellar adventure! My kids are young adults with families of their own.  I have my role as Zma, as Teacher Zita. But I am on a quest to find Zita. She's hidden someone deep inside. Covered in layers. Like an onion. I like the onion analogy. Notice the outermost layer of an onion - dry  and papery. As you peel off layers, the inside is juicy and sweet. I have paid my dues of sacrifice, shame and self deprivation.  What I want now is to embrace the life I have remaining. Have you seen the life pie chart? I don't know where I read this, but it stuck with me.  Draw a circle.  And then divide it i