Skip to main content

Day 331



Feeling serene after a workout and sauna session

I had an interesting development at the gym yesterday. I was short on time, but I was determined to get even a small workout in. So I speed walked to the Max and then speed walked to the gym. I figured I got my cardio in for the day. In fact, I walk at least a mile a day. Sometimes more. But I recalled the advice from my doctor about strength training. I also was thinking back to my early adult life, when I discovered weight lifitng. I have not been as achy lately. I attribute it to increased water intake, and calmer mental and emotional state.  I am still stretching too.  

So I just lifted weights. I went first to the lat pull down machine. I thought I set it for 50 pounds, but could only do three reps. Puzzled, and thinking perhaps I was more tired than I had thought, I went to lower the weights. But I was shocked to see I had set it at 80 pounds! It is an old machine, and the numbers had been rubbed off. So I set it to 60 pounds and easily did 12 reps! I also increased my weights for bench press to 60 and shoulder press to 50. Then I did 50 crunches and some yoga. 

That was all I had time for, aside from a nice smug sauna session. I stretched a bit more in the sauna, smiling about my workout!  

So now I am going to focus a bit more on strength training.  I feel more alert, and energetic. I will still continue the cardio, but I think I get stuck in a rut and move too slowly when I walk. Not quite ready for running...will I ever be? No worries, this 54 year-old is going to go into her senior years with strength!


I downloaded a book on my kindle about the Psalms. Fascinating! It is called David and the Psalms by Michael Ruszala.
http://www.amazon.com/David-Psalms-Michael-J-Ruszala-ebook/dp/B018TOPVQG/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1459831608&sr=1-1&keywords=David+and+the+psalms+ruszala

Fascinating book. It is filling in the gaps in my brain. And reaffirming my desire to study the psalms.

My psalm of the day is Psalm 25. It is an "acrostic" psalm. Each verse begins with the succeeding letter in the Hebrew alphabet. Some scholars say this way of writing is an aid to memorization. Kind of like  the mnemonics I used in school. This psalm is really speaking to my heart this morning. I had another sleepless, troubled night. I have many worries about my family. But for today, all is well. And I am very grateful. I wrote this psalm in my prayer journal.  Happy Tuesday!
Psalm 25


1 To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
2 I trust you, let me not be disappointed;
do not let my enemies triumph.
3 Those who hope in you shall not be disappointed,
but only those who wantonly break faith.


4 Lord, make me know your ways.

Lord, teach me your paths.
5 Make me walk in your truth, and teach me:
for you are God my savior.



In you I hope all day long

7c because of your goodness, O Lord.
6 Remember your mercy, Lord,
and the love you have shown from of old.
7 Do not remember the sins of my youth.
In your love remember me.



8 The Lord is good and upright.

He shows the path to those who stray,
9 He guides the humble in the right path,
He teaches his way to the poor.



10 His ways are faithfulness and love 

for those who keep his covenant and law.
11 Lord, for the sake of your name
forgive my guilt, for it is great.



12 If anyone fears the Lord

he will show him the path he should choose.
13 His soul shall live in happiness
and his children shall possess the land.
14 The Lord's friendship is for those who revere him;
to them he reveals his covenant.



15 My eyes are always on the Lord;

for he rescues my feet from the snare.
16 Turn to me and have mercy
for I am lonely and poor.



17 Relieve the anguish of my heart

and set me free from my distress.
18 See my affliction and my toil
and take all my sins away.



19 See how many are my foes;

how violent their hatred for me.
20 Preserve my life and rescue me.
Do not disappoint me, you are my refuge.
21 May innocence and uprightness protect me:
for my hope is in you, O Lord.



22 Redeem Israel, O God, from all its distress.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 347: My Big Fat Greek Salad!!

I have perfected the art of making a Greek salad!  I have made two huge bowls in the last week. My kinds rave. Essentially the secret is f vegetables , good feta cheese, Greek olives and a homemade dressing made with light, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar,  and oregano. Here is my recipe: MY BIG FAT GREEK SALAD Serves 4 hungry adults 4 cups greens (I used a "spring mix" from Fred Meyer) 2 cucumbers 6 roma tomatoes one small red onion 1 cup cubed feta cheese 1 cup Greek olives (pitted) Get out a big bowl. Peel a clove of garlic, cut in half and rub it over the interior of the bowl.  Wash the lettuce if it is not prewashed and packaged like mine was.  Dry the leaves, and tear into bite sized pieces. Throw into the big bowl. Note: Romaine lettuce is good to include in the mix, because it is hearty. Peel the cucumbers and dice. Add to bowl. Cut the roma tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds (otherwise they make th...

Year Two, Day 307: Chasing Away The Gloomy Weather...with Music and a Smile! :)

It seems to me that most of the city is depressed, tired and sick. I still have my low grade snuffly nose, along with sneezing, and itching eyes.  Low energy. It is nice to know I am not the only one. Misery loves company, don't you know! Even through the gloom, I had an enjoyable day.  I told myself several times that I really am a lucky woman. My kids are grown, I'm going to be a GRANDMA, and I love my work. My church job is a nice secure little job and it seems I am quite needed there.  I am still learning the ropes. But I am enjoying it. Meeting new people. And best of all, I have only a 1 1/2 minute commute (by foot!). I have a cozy little room in a household full of wonderful laid back people.  People who love animals and music. But best of all, my afternoons are filled with music. I basically get on the bus and travel about town, sitting at pianos, visiting with students, who are like my family. We talk. They play the piano for me. I offer pointe...

Year Two, Day 50: Mindful Biking

More breaking ground today. I rode my bike to the Max, and then to my first student, who coincidentally lives close to my gym.  Maggie waiting patiently for me at the gym, 6/28/2016 I am starting to notice positive changes from my daily biking.  First of all, I feel such a sense of freedom and exhiliration when I hop on and take off.  It reminds me of my childhood. My brother and I rode all over Vancouver, WA on summer break.  It was my first experience of independence from a rather harsh father.  Back then we didn't wear helmets. And there were many hills. I will never forget the joy of coasting down a hill with the wind in my hair. I have hints of the feeling now. I also have noticed my energy is higher. And although I am sore (cycling uses muscles that I have not worked in awhile), I am getting stronger. Feeling strong! Cycling is also good for my mind. I find myself going through routes in my head. I am hoping to add more routes to my day...