Skip to main content

Day 340: The Unfortunate Potato Day

I just want to start today's post by saying I am so blessed to have family that loves me and wants to spend time with me.

I am often so wrapped up in myself: how I feel, what I need to get done, how to find time for myself, that I don't appreciate what I do have.

I have two adult children, age 24 and 26 and a son-in-law, age 28, that all seem to enjoy hanging out with me. They actually call me. They ask me to dinner. They ask my opinion. They request my presence for board games and for watching "The Voice".

This morning was a good morning. As I mentioned yesterday, adapting my schedule to accommodate piano practice first thing before the gym has brought me peace. I don't spend most of my day feeling guilty because I haven't practice. And I don't spend time after work trying to get practice in.

I officially wrote "family time" at the end of my daily schedule.

I was pleased that my practice went well today.  Shorter sessions more frequently works best for me. I advise my piano students to practice every single day. Even if for a few minutes. I read somewhere that researchers found the brain makes progress in leaps in bounds with regular, consistent short sessions, rather than one big cram. Like I used to do in college. And am still guilty of doing for performance! 

There, a true confession!

I am also still feeling much better. I think due to the increased water and regular gym workouts. They are still too short. But I always end with a sauna session, which seems to release toxins as I sweat. And I am less achy the next day.

I am still working on portion control.  And quality of food consumption. Yesterday was an unfortunate potato day. We were out of eggs, so I made a potato/cauliflower/jalapeno/kale hash for breakfast. Then my son wanted to go out to dinner with me before my evening students.  The Bagdad Pub was in the neighborhood.  The Bagdad is a McMennamen's pub.  Unfortunately I did not consult my brain before we sat down. Because, alas it was happy hour. And before I knew it, I had gleefully ordered truffle fries and a hot dog! (sans bun).  And my son had a hot dog, tomato bisque and Cajun fries. I had been praising the Cajun fries since I had them at the Kennedy School with my chamber group a few weeks ago.

I couldn't eat all my fries, so I took a to go box. When I came home later in the evening, and wanted a little snack, the truffle fries were calling my name!

So I had potatoes essentially for breakfast, lunch and dinner! OY!

Luckily the scale hasn't budged. Still stuck at 189. At least it hasn't gone up!

Today my breakfast consisted of half an apple and hot tea.

Lunch was  a bowl of Turkey chili. Afternoon snack was 2 rice cakes, a gluten free oat/almond cookie and tea.

I haven't had dinner yet, but I guarantee it will not consist of potatoes!

I was reading from Beth Moore's Breaking Free this morning. I have to share what I read. I called and left a voicemail for my parents. My father is seeking questions about spirituality at the "end of his days" (in his words). I don't know if this will resonate with him. It did with me:

"Everyday of our lives - to live victoriously - we must learn to pour out our hearts to God, confess sin daily so nothing will hinder Him, acknowledge every hollow place, and invite Him to fill us fully. Then we continue to fan the flame of His love by reading Scripture, listening to edifying music and praying often. We also need to avoid things that obviously quench His Spirit. When you make a daily practice of inviting His love to fill your hollow places and make sure you are not hindering the process , God will begin to satisfy you more than a double cheeseburger!"

 On that nite, Happy Thursday! :)


Popular posts from this blog

Year Four, Day 31: Sleep Business

I did it! I survived my sleep study.
It was quite intense. I think my expectations were a bit skewed. I was envisioning more like a mini retreat.  
It was all business. Sleep business.
And the minute the lights went out and the door shut behind the sleep technician as she whispered, "good night", I went into full panic mode.
Luckily I was really tired.  She had asked if I wanted to watch a bit of television before I fell asleep. But I declined. I knew to take advantage of the heavy lidded, dull brained feeling I had when I was really sleepy. Television might wake up my brain.
As she was attaching my electrodes, I watched a show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law", about Texas game wardens. I was hooked!  It was fascinating. I rarely watch tv, and we don't have cable at home, thankfully.  But this show drew me in. In retrospect, I should have continued to watch it until I fell asleep.
Something about being hooked up, tucked in, lights off, door closing, fel…

Year Three, Day 265: Simple Solutions to Life's Little Dilemmas

This will be a short post. It is late and I am most exhausted!

I had a wonderful day. I spent the morning through early afternoon with Baby Gracie, my mother and my daughter.  Much female bonding.

Gracie and I have quite the connection. My daughter cannot even nurse her when I am in the room because she pauses every few seconds to turn her head and look for her Zma!  It fills my heart with joy to see her eyes light up to see me.

My mother, who had not been feeling well for several weeks came and visited for a few hours.  Her doctor has adjusted her blood pressure meds. She has returned to her upbeat, positive, spunky self.  Thank goodness. I was beginning to worry!

I did many activities with Gracie after her mom left for work. But it is my  mother who has the magic touch when it comes to rocking Baby Gracie to sleep for her morning nap.

I even took my mother's advice today.  I am one of those stubborn daughters that usually does not take their parents advice.  But today when I co…

Year Four, Day 41: The ER

This morning about 4 a.m. I woke up with severe stabbing pains in my jaw.  My whole head, face and neck felt like someone had it in a vice. And was turning the lever.

I had already taken a dose of Thera-Flu before bed. Since Wednesday morning is my time with Gracie, I wanted to make sure I was well rested.  I didn't want to be groggy on Gracie duty.
But with the pain I was experiencing, I was questioning how effective I would be at all. 
I was wide awake, holding my jaw as everything throbbed.  I made a decision to take another dose of Thera-Flu.  The package said I could take one dose every 4 hours.  
So I boiled some water and sat hunched over the kitchen table.  I poured the hot water over the powder. As I waited for it to cool, I put my face close to the cup. The hot steam gave my poor face a bit of relief. 
I was wondering if I had a sinus infection. My throat was sore and raw.  I was congested. Had a bit of a cough. The jaw pain was troubling. Last week when my allergies we…